Wood split size

zackgirton6

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I’’m getting close here on getting my 24’60 Shirley... just wondering what size splits you guys use? I’m jumping from a very different smoker so I’m new to size of splits! Thanks in advance

The splits I use average about 16" to 18" however if I am cutting my own I prefer a 10" to 12" split, as far as diameter 2" to 4 " (actually wedge shape) work well.

Yup, what BillN said. As far as diameter most people say about coke can width. I prefer mine beer can diameter.

I agree with BillN on this but do vary split size depending on how hot I am cooking.

Do you have an insulated fb? I find that the insulated fb doesn't require normal size splits. Smaller works better in my 24x55 straight back. I used much bigger splits in my old 24x36 normal offset.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I like 12” long and 2”-4” wedge. Sometimes I have 2-3” round limbs and I’ll still split them one time to get a fresh side showing.

Do you have an insulated fb? I find that the insulated fb doesn't require normal size splits. Smaller works better in my 24x55 straight back. I used much bigger splits in my old 24x36 normal offset.

Same here, I'm using a kindling cracker to bust them down pretty small the insulated firebox is so efficient you can grab an armload of firewood and cook all day with that if it's dry and well seasoned.

mihtyHjl.jpg

Same here, I'm using a kindling cracker to bust them down pretty small the insulated firebox is so efficient you can grab an armload of firewood and cook all day with that if it's dry and well seasoned.

mihtyHjl.jpg
^^^That's how I roll.

I had that size of cooker and it liked 16" long splits the size diameter of a pop can and once you get a coal base add one split to run 225 to 250 and add two splits to n275 to 300 degrees .

Back