Cast Iron Grill Grate - Upkeep

Easter

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Hi all. I just ordered a cast iron grill grate for my weber kettle and was wondering if I need to do anything special to keep it's condition up.

Thanks for any advice!

I burn it off before I cook and add a little oil each time while cleaning it. I use it more than I thought I would and glad I bought them. They make awesome smash burgers as well as steaks and grilled vegetables.

Keep them clean with a wire brush after cooking while still warm then spray them with oil to keep them from rusting. Store them away from damp weather conditions, and as mentioned above, frequent use helps.

Keep them clean with a wire brush after cooking while still warm then spray them with oil to keep them from rusting. Store them away from damp weather conditions, and as mentioned above, frequent use helps.

First, I do not have a cast iron grate on my grill. However, I ALWAYS avoid wire brushes when it comes to cast iron. In fact, I avoid soap. For my skillets and Dutch oven I always clean them while they are still warm (but cool enough to handle) with a coarse salt and water paste and a stiff brush. After a good rinsing, apply a thin layer of oil. About every third or fourth use, I go through the complete seasoning process.

For a grate, (since a paste is not feasible) I would use a very stiff brush of a different material or a solid metal scraper. while it is still hot, just not hot enough to melt the brush. My preference would be to get it to a really high temp and simply burn it off. If you feel you must use a metal brush, do not apply more than gentle pressure. Of course, you may have to season the grate again.

While the grate is hot take a ball of aluminum foil and rub it back and forth Use tongs to hold it Put oil on it after each use Keep them away from damp areas
Mine are grill grates and they are aluminum

Sorry, I thought they were GrillGrates.

Last edited:
I have CI grates on my CharBroil gasser.
I just brush the chunky's off, and keep it oiled up.
Now and then, I take mine apart and vacuum out the burned droppings in the bottom.
But, since I stopped burning it off, it seems to work better for me.
A friend in Texas told me to not burn it off. :thumb:

Back