In Progress: Replicating A Bird to the Wise from Jason's Deli

colonel00

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
For those that have had one, I assume I do not need to explain my intentions. For those that have not had one, A Bird to the Wise is a sandwich from Jason's Deli which is basically just turkey and pastrami with a slice of swiss cheese on a bun with your choice of mayo or mustard. It is absolutely delicious but as the nutritional stats show, it can be deadly too :shocked:

Picture from the internet, not mine.
jasonsdeliol3.jpg

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 sandwich = 466 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 1491 Calories from Fat 1017
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 113 g 174%
Saturated Fat 49 g 245%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 263 mg 88%
Sodium 2053 mg 86%
Total Carbohydrate 49 g 16%
Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
Sugars 7 g 15%
Protein 71 g 142%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs

So, I have a pastrami and a turkey breast rolling along on the UDS. Nothing too fancy. The pastrami is a store bought corned brisket point that I soaked for 24 hours to reduce the salt content. I got a point this time because it was $1/lb cheaper than the corned flats. However, after trimming off some of the excess fat, I am wondering if it was really a better deal in the end. Anyway, after the soak I made up a simple rub based off of Third Eye's recipe found here. For the turkey, I used a little bit of the left over pastrami rub along with my general purpose rub. Since I plan to slice thin, I wanted to get a good flavor on the outside.

IMAG0810.jpg

IMAG0811.jpg

IMAG0812.jpg

Almost done cooking

IMAG0813.jpg

Last edited:
Coming along nicely. Will let them cook a bit longer then pull to rest and cool for slicing.

IMAG0813.jpg

That's my favorite sandwich from Jason's. I'm anxious to see how this turns out.

Getting closer. After the meat rested for a bit I had to run to my buddy's house since I was watching his dog while he was out of town. Conveniently he had the meat slicer...

IMAG0814.jpg

IMAG0816.jpg

IMAG0815.jpg

IMAG0820.jpg

Alright, I finally finished scarfing down my delicious sandwich and got the pics up loaded.

The only thing I was missing from the original sandwich was an onion roll but I did not feel like picking up a package of them just for this sandwich as I am not the biggest fan. So, I grabbed a sub roll, split it down the middle and then applied a decent layer of mayo.

IMAG0822.jpg

IMAG0823.jpg

Then the swiss cheese.

IMAG0824.jpg

Next was a good layer of pastrami on both sides.

IMAG0825.jpg

Then a good helping of turkey.

DSCN1266.jpg

Then off to the toaster to warm everything up (lazy mod). Sliced and ready to eat. I didn't go as heavy on the pastrami as they do at the deli but I figured that might help keep the fat content under 100g :shocked:

DSCN1270.jpg

DSCN1278.jpg

DSCN1276.jpg

Yeah, it was delicious. Now what to do with the leftovers :noidea:

One thing I did want to add was that the corned beef and turkey breast only cost me about $10 a piece for the meat. For taking the lazy approach, that isn't too bad and well worth $20 in deli meat. I will definitely be doing this more instead of paying $5/lb+ at the store for deli meat.

I would hit that hard and even call it the next day - very nicely done!

Back