Painting a UDS

baldbill

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have been looking at the uds posts and am soon going to make on of these cooking beasts. I would like to paint it in my college team colors ( orange and blue) and have it ready for football season. THose of you that paint yours what paint do you prefer and what colors do they have? I May build one in Tarheel colors for my inlaws, but mine is first!! WAREAGLE!!!!!!!!:bow:

I went with engine block spray paint from a a chain auto parts store. They must have had 15-20 different colors. My paint job is somewhat half assed, as I was more concerned w/ simply covering the bare metal as opposed to aesthetics. One coat on the lid, one coat on the drum (plus some spot touch up) and two coats on the bottom of the drum... 1 and a half cans of spray paint. For a project like this, it's better to have left over paint, then not enough!

The high temp engine paint is a good choose,a long with header paint, the new disc brake caliper paints in the rattle cans. As been said the big box auto parts stores.
Or here
http://www.caswellplating.com/vht/index.html
They have all the info on the new high temp coating even the Ceramic in the rattle cans. they also ship world wide or have outlets in other places.

http://www.eastwood.com/underhood-engine/engine-paints.html

Here is another and if you like shooting it yourself they have it in regular cans

The only thing I will say as with all types of coatings, whether paint or patina's is the single most important thing you have to do is the prep work, Clean, dry, oil free and if you don't use a primer put a couple of extra coats of the top coat on. To put logo's or lettering on. Practice with low tack masking tape and an exato knife #11 style blade, on sheet card board. Paint is cheap you can use any cheap rattle can paint to practice with.

Another tip if you want a light color on top of a dark color spray a gray down first as it will cover the dark colors with less coat and the light top color will also need less coats.

The other tip is DON'T leave the masking tape out in the direct sunlight to dry, or leave it on to long over 24 hours ot the directions maximum time.

To mask large area's, use tape to outline and then plastic wrap taped to the tape or the cheap plastic drop clothes.

The second most important thing after cleaning and prep work is Waiting for the coats to dry before applying either another one, or a logo etc.
:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
I did mine with regular spray paint and it works fine I just dont run it up to high temps. If it peels just touch it up .

Good Luck. I'm interested in how it comes out.The best I have been able to do is a grill cover. Orange and Blue is a great combination from a fellow AU Tiger. "WARRRRR EAGLE"

I went with engine block spray paint from a a chain auto parts store. They must have had 15-20 different colors....

Sounds like a good idea. Engine paint is available in many colors as mentioned. Orange and Blue are both popular colors. I am originally from Auburn myself. WAR EAGLE!

Back