• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Kettle Fried Grilled Chicken Thighs w/ Lefty's

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I don't remember who recommended it, but the Lefty's Spices Fish n' Chicken Mix is a winner. Anyway, thank you to whoever turned me on to this stuff.

The Mrs had asked what BBQ stuff she could get me for Christmas, and this was it. She always thinks it's odd when she benefits from a gift for me, but so it goes. :wink: I had tried it two nights ago on cauliflower, figured it was time to give it a good test on chicken this evening.

I followed the directions, but cut down on the amount I made for the wet rub (1/8 cup Lefty's, 1/2 cup water). Dip each piece in the wet bath, then into some of the dry mixture to coat it.

Some Chicken Thighs all seasoned, getting ready for the grill -

As a side, some stuffed mushrooms with Crabmeat. Filling is melted butter, sauteed onion, garlic, chopped mushroom stems, Crabmeat, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, Parsley.

Shrooms ready for the oven -

Only four pieces of chicken, so out onto the Weber they go.

Grill temp was about 425, SnS is in use, let them grill for about 20 mins, spray with a little EVOO, flip them. Here they are after the first flip -

Spray the other side with EVOO, let them go for 20 minutes more, flip once more and then about another 15-20 minutes.

They're looking pretty darn crisp for grilled chicken -

Ready to serve -

Plated with the Stuffed Mushrooms -

I should start taking videos and prove that #forkdontlie. The fork test showed that these were just about as crisp as fried chicken, yet they're grilled on the Weber kettle, all done indirect. I don't even need to do any sort of sear at the end.

Crispy, yet still juicy -

And there you have it. Crispy, "kettle fried", grilled chicken thighs. The Lefty's is certainly a hit! I'll be placing another order on amazon for more.

As always, thanks for reading through this post and checking out tonite's dinner!

Regards,
-lunchman

Great usage of the fatty thighs. So essentially it’s frying in its own fat? I definitely need to try this.

#forkdontlie ? Are you sure you didn't toss them into a deep fryer when we weren't looking ? Nice....

Oddly, my wife asked me the same thing - "Did you take the Lodge skillet outside and fry these on the grill?" :grin:

The #forkdontlie thing is from Chef John from foodwishes.com. Scraping a fork across these, you'd think they came out of a fryer. I swear these were completely done on the Weber kettle. :becky:

The only extra oil they get is from my EVOO mister and the amount is miniscule. I'm not even sure it's necessary, but I'm using the technique from the Adrenaline BBQ Buffalo chicken wing recipe.

Time to check out amazon to see what other Lefty's stuff I can get a hold of. The Lefty's store seems to be out of stock on many of their products.

Oh, I did dry brine these with Sea Salt for all of an hour before hitting them with the Lefty's.

-Dom

Great usage of the fatty thighs. So essentially it’s frying in its own fat? I definitely need to try this.

Technically, I suppose it's grilling in its own fat. Since it's dark meat, the thighs can take the extra heat though it's indirect and not dry out. They were on the grill for nearly an hour, were still quite tender.

I'd be reluctant to try these temps with a chicken breast, but I'd still hit it with Lefty's and grill them at my normally lower temp of 325 or so, indirect.

I really do like this seasoning. I suppose if you were to actually fry the chicken with it, it would turn out awesome.

-lunchman

I saw someone post faux fried chicken on the Brethren Facebook page a lot. I assume it’s the same type of technique? He’s use a Lang though so maybe it’s more smoked fried chicken then grilled fried chicken.

Back