MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:10 PM   #16
HDCTX
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : 10502 Spice Ridge Row

Thanks. I meant the grill level extension, not the stack, sorry.
HDCTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-15-2019, 11:14 PM   #17
HDCTX

Nice axe, thanks. I need to ask.my lawn guy for a decent size stump to chop on.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:37 PM   #18
Swede
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDCTX View Post
Thanks. I meant the grill level extension, not the stack, sorry.
I wouldn't bother with this one, it only seemed to negatively impact the draw. If you already have it give it a try and see what you think...
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #19
noobieQ
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
I wouldn't bother with this one, it only seemed to negatively impact the draw. If you already have it give it a try and see what you think...

Could you elaborate on what exactly you found with this that made you remove it? Was the smoke wanting to just exit more from the open firebox door than move through the cooking chamber or wasn't there enough of a draw to keep the fire burning hot?
noobieQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #20
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobieQ View Post
Could you elaborate on what exactly you found with this that made you remove it? Was the smoke wanting to just exit more from the open firebox door than move through the cooking chamber or wasn't there enough of a draw to keep the fire burning hot?
Pointing straight down at the grate can sometimes hurt airflow and cause hotspots, sometimes increasing the end to end temp difference. Some guys have said it caused harsh smoke taste so I would think it decreased airflow where fire smoldered. Some guys say it helps.
I would not use one but if I did I would cut opening diagonally so hole is on side of extension vs straight down.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:24 PM   #21
wcberner
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Chris
Default Love my Highland!

The Highland has been a great smoker to learn on - frustrating as hell sometimes but it’s made me a much better cook (with smoke at least). I highly recommend a baffle/tuning plate (I stay between 5-15 degrees across my smoker). If you get a baffle, you’ll have to run the door and smokestack wide open since the baffle blocks airflow and a clean fire should be your number one priority. I also sealed the firebox but everything burned off after a couple of hot fires. I installed clamps on the cook chamber door but didn’t need them with the sealant (and I never use the clamps). I wouldn’t stress over making it airtight - the metal is thin you’ll lose way more heat from the surfaces of the smoker. Oh and keep the cooker as close to level as possible (pointed slightly down so it’ll drain) to help the airflow.

I’d also recommend getting a temp probe insert (Weber makes one that has worked well for me) and if you go with the baffle plate, some pans for water to put on top. Finally, I started stacking two of the charcoal grates in the fire box to decrease the gap size to hold ash and it works really well!

Happy smoking!
wcberner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2019, 02:41 PM   #22
HDCTX

I got the extension from Island Outdoor that mounts on the side of the smoke box. I wonder whether the dryer duct cobble works better.
I have a pair of digital remote thermometers. I'll put them at opposite ends of the box when I season the smoker this weekend and compare temps. I've also seen a few people recommend pointing a fan at the door to the firebox. That might address the airflow/smouldering fire issue. It will be a little harder to modify the sheet metal than a dryer duct if necessary. LOL

Old 01-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #23
HDCTX

When I was browsing for a small fan to place near the fire box, i stumbled across some small fans mounted in ac type duct pipe apparently used by grow houses. They had one mounted in a 4" pipe that i can plug into a variable speed controller, and run the duct up.to the firebox door. The fan moves about 120 cfm. With a variable control I can probably get that down to 60-90. Overkill I know, buy it would certainly keep.my fire from going out. And less than $50. Might be fun to play with.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:23 PM   #24
HDCTX

Thanks WC. I have the Weber grommet, just waiting for the drill bit to arrive. The baffle from Island Outdoor will be here tomorrow. I got a 4" one third pan (steam table pan) for water. It should fit on top of the baffle under the cooking grate.
I always thought people sealed their smoker to improve the vacuum which pulls smoke to the flue, not additional.heat.
I have the nomex, sealant, and clamps. I'll go ahead and do the gasket and sealant.
I'm waiting on my stainless bolts to arrive before putting it together.
It's supposed to be super cold and windy this weekend, will that interfere with seasoning?
Did you turn your fire box grate to raise the fire, or just leave it alone?
Thanks for all the tips.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:03 PM   #25
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

Just checked a local store and the Highlander is on clearance for $140. I am having a hard time deciding if I should grab it. I have been smoking on a kamado for over a year and I have wanted to try something else. Seems like a good deal for an entry level offset.
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:33 PM   #26
HDCTX

Watch some of the videos on YouTube. It might help you decide. And look at the available mods from Island Outdoor.

Tags
Oklahoma Joes mods