MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:11 PM   #16
D&D BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBBAGA View Post
Edward Scissorhands is stocking at my local HD. 6 of the 15 bags on the floor were horribly gouged
Are you sure it was Edward Scissorhands? Apparently, a few bags were torn by the rat chef from Ratatouille! A couple were torn open with droppings around and... yep, he built a nest in another bag! Yikes... I was wondering if that could impart some “off” flavors?

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-10-2019, 07:15 PM   #17
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

I called my local home depot and they said they had them but for 9.88. Debating on whether or not to go get some. I currently have a bunch of it and had planned on switching to B&B oak briquettes when I ran out. 1st world problems

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-10-2019, 07:23 PM   #18
Jcmhc
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jason

Couldn't pass this deal up. Guys at the local store were just scanning the price and looking surprised when I swooped in and said I'll take half of them (they only had 20).Should last a long time, but hopefully it doesn't!
Jcmhc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #19
Mac man 76
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I just got 30 bags for 125 they have kingsford long burn and professional for 3.90 I cleaned out home depo and there is more home depo close to me
Mac man 76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2019, 07:59 PM   #20
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I still have 15-20 bags from last year plus all the others that i bought on clearance. I can't keep doing this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2019, 08:15 PM   #21
ulc
is one Smokin' Farker

I bought 2 bags last year from Lowes on clearance and thought it was the worst charcoal ever. I don't know if I got a bad batch since so many people here seem to love it. The Weber charcoal was harder to light and gave off terrible white smoke and left really awful taste on the meat. And the ash level was way more than lump charcoal and comparable to regular KB. For grilling it worked ok but was no better than KB.

I kind of want to try again to see if I just got a bad batch last year but if it's the same, it's not even worth $4.
ulc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2019, 08:27 PM   #22
Jcmhc
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulc View Post
I bought 2 bags last year from Lowes on clearance and thought it was the worst charcoal ever. I don't know if I got a bad batch since so many people here seem to love it. The Weber charcoal was harder to light and gave off terrible white smoke and left really awful taste on the meat. And the ash level was way more than lump charcoal and comparable to regular KB. For grilling it worked ok but was no better than KB.

I kind of want to try again to see if I just got a bad batch last year but if it's the same, it's not even worth $4.
Judging by the number of responses to this thread, including mine, I think it's safe to say that this charcoal is well regarded! If I didn't have a mountain of Western Lump (from Walmart deal), I would have picked up even more.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:42 PM   #23
ulc
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcmhc View Post
Judging by the number of responses to this thread, including mine, I think it's safe to say that this charcoal is well regarded! If I didn't have a mountain of Western Lump (from Walmart deal), I would have picked up even more.
Which is why I'm wondering if I just got a bad batch. Because the Weber charcoal I used was so awful that I thought about throwing it away. It truly reeked.
ulc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2019, 08:43 PM   #24
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

Quote:
I'm nearing the end of a little over 200lbs of the Western lump. Hopefully this stuff is good.
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #25
Mrhdvrod
Knows what a fatty is.

You definitely got a bad batch, I’ve used 40 bags of this over the past year, I’ve found it burns clean, less ash then most briquettes I’ve used but not as little as lump. Burns hot as well and no off putting anything for me. I’d say it lights fast but I use a torch so everything lights pretty fast.

I used my last bag last week, now that I have the mak 2 I only use it in my pk360 and occasionally when I light up the Hunsaker but at this price I had to clean out 2 Home Depot’s for 16 bags, I only left the ones with tears in the bags. At my current use this will likely last me all year.

Now if I could get 20 lbs bag of pellets for this price I’d be in heaven!
Mrhdvrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2019, 09:09 PM   #26
Jcmhc
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhdvrod View Post
You definitely got a bad batch, I’ve used 40 bags of this over the past year, I’ve found it burns clean, less ash then most briquettes I’ve used but not as little as lump. Burns hot as well and no off putting anything for me. I’d say it lights fast but I use a torch so everything lights pretty fast.

I used my last bag last week, now that I have the mak 2 I only use it in my pk360 and occasionally when I light up the Hunsaker but at this price I had to clean out 2 Home Depot’s for 16 bags, I only left the ones with tears in the bags. At my current use this will likely last me all year.

Now if I could get 20 lbs bag of pellets for this price I’d be in heaven!
I don't even have a pellet pooper yet, but one of the factors impacting my decision to buy one is whether there are ridiculous sales like this on pellets throughout the year. Any thoughts?

Old 01-10-2019, 09:12 PM   #27
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
I don't even have a pellet pooper yet, but one of the factors impacting my decision to buy one is whether there are ridiculous sales like this on pellets throughout the year. Any thoughts?
Never seen them but i hear walmart puts the pitboss pellets on clearance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2019, 09:23 PM   #28
Tannhauser42
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : X

Home Depot's not the only place with stuff on sale. I was at Walmart this morning, and looks like they were cleaning out some old stock. The Oklahoma Joe Highland was marked down to about $180.
Tannhauser42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2019, 10:46 PM   #29
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

I bought a bunch of this at the Target clearance in 2017. Being a nearly 100%-of-the- time lump user, I found it to be typically briquette smokey, stinky (and ashy, but not as bad as KBB) at start up. After the crap burns off, this stuff burns pretty hot and lasts a very long time.

I bought about 450#s of lump at the WalMart Western sale last year, so I don't need any fuel. But I'll probably pick up a few bags anyway cuz I'm a sucker for great deals like this. :)

Old 01-11-2019, 12:34 AM   #30
Leftwngr
is one Smokin' Farker

Just in time for me. I'm down to 3 bags of Weber briquettes. Stocked up last time and it's lasted me a while. Think I got 12 or so last time. Going to clear the shelf tomorrow. These things burn hot and long. Consistent briquette. Hard to say anything bad except the silly Ziploc style bag.

Pucks not politics
Leftwngr is offline   Reply With Quote