• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

High Plains Blazin' Sunday Shenanigans - Pastrami 2-ways & Stuff

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
It's been a busy weekend. It's nice to finally have a day at home with the family.

Started the day with a little baking therapy.

HfgULpJh.jpg

aBRx6snh.jpg

Browned off a couple of slices of fatty. Fried up an egg, and hit it with some cheese.

YrOwKHOh.jpg

B9w7SuWh.jpg

Took care care of the ladies' breakfasts, then got down to business for the day.

With all of JasonTQ's discussion of corned this and that (and the fact that I need to build space in the deep freezer), I decided to make pastrami.

I'd recently found a Half-Price Sale on Corned Brisket flats, and I also decided to try my hand at a light corning/brining of some baby backs (only had 1 overnight in the brine due to my crazy schedule). Cut the rack in half, so we'd also have some more traditional-style ribs if the pastrami-d ribs don't work out.

yFJnkD3h.jpg

I hit those with a pastrami rub off ThirdEye's Pastrami webpage.

rzAnSYjh.jpg

I hit the other half-rack of baby backs with our Wicken Yanks Original... hadn't used this in a LONG time.

iznnmNOh.jpg

Smoker's starting up. It's bloody hot out there. Cold seltzer and Mexican beer in the fridge for hydration.

More to follow.

Last edited:
Sandwich makings all look fabulous! Have fun! I am interested to hear about the ribs, since you did them less than 24 hours.

Glad to see I’m not the only one that ends up with that one “odd” biscuit :wink:
All looks delicious!

Beef pastrami hit 150F... so into the Instant Pot she goes! A couple of cups of water under the raised rack to provide the steam...

High Pressure with some altitude corrections gets me about 30 minutes and a natural release.

rW4pBATh.jpg

D1qM2Anh.jpg

If I'm firing up the smoker, there's always room for a fatty.

This time it's JD Hot with Wicken Yanks Original.

YlqNjUdh.jpg

The ribs are looking good, and it's time to give them a bit of a wrap for a while.

Pastrami on the left, and Wicken Yanks Original on the right.

ltp2RQSh.jpg

I know this isn't the main event... but the beef pastrami probed like butter after a second trip through the pressure cooker (10 min, hi pressure, natural release).

OQ2hGO0h.jpg

558mnGmh.jpg

I could honestly sit here and cut slices off this thing, snacking as I go, and completely ruin my appetite for dinner.

I know this isn't the main event... but the beef pastrami probed like butter after a second trip through the pressure cooker (10 min, hi pressure, natural release).

OQ2hGO0h.jpg

558mnGmh.jpg

I could honestly sit here and cut slices off this thing, snacking as I go, and completely ruin my appetite for dinner.

Sweet donkey kong!

This baby sliced up really nicely with my new cutlery.... but I REALLY want a nice deli slicer machine. That'd be tops.

Tf5DnK7h.jpg

CINCHOUSE suggested we have pastrami sammiches as a side for the ribs... :tsk:

Even our munchkin enjoyed 2-3-4 small pieces of pastrami after her nap!

Back