MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:07 PM   #1
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Default MAK 2 Flash Fire Help!

Around Xmas, I got MAK's new Flash Fire Igniter and had my Pellet Boss updated. Every since then, I've had issues with flame out. It had always occurred sometime during the cook, but this last time, it happened during the startup sequence that goes to the Smoke setting. I opened up the cooker so I could see the fire box and saw that everything else seems to be working right, but the igniter never ignites.
I talked to MAK's tech guy several times and he seems just be scratching his head and telling me to try this and try that. I'm so tired of this, as this MAK 2 used to be my go-to cooker for consistency. Now I can't even trust it to fire up.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
Joshw
Babbling Farker

I have read that leaving the lid open, until the pellets light, will help on some grills. I don't think the igniter would cause flame out during a cook. Once things are lit, the igniter turns off. That sounds more like a pellet feed problem, or possibly the pellets.

Last edited by Joshw; 07-21-2018 at 07:19 PM..
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2018, 07:14 PM   #3
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Also, not sure about the Mak, but my yoder operators manual says, if the igniter doesn't light, you can light it manually with a torch. I know that isn't a long term solution, bt if you want to use it, before the problem get resolved, you might give it a shot.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #4
darita
is One Chatty Farker

I like using the Smoke setting for the first hour or two. That's a very low temp that tends to go out when manually lit. I've tried that before. On temps 225+ it may work fine.
I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:27 PM   #5
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

I installed a Flash Fire igniter in my 1-Star close to 2 years ago and haven’t had any problems with it. Sorry to hear you’re having issues. Surprised their tech hasn’t figured it out.

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2018, 11:31 PM   #6
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Can you go back to the previous version?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #7
darita
is One Chatty Farker

What I'd like to do is, pull the Flash Fire and Pellet Boss and send them back to MAK to figure out. Something is wrong between the two parts, but it's not consistent, nor is it obvious to me.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #8
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Not sure this helps, but I have had my 2 Star for almost 1.5 years (it has all the latest and greatest, including the Flash Fire igniter). In that time I did have a struggle with flame outs. It started about 4 months ago and lasted for a couple of months until MAK sent me a new auger motor (this was a guess on MAKs part, something they wanted to rule out). I made three changes and haven’t had a flame out since:

1) Started cleaning my fire pot after every cook.
2) Toss a handful of fresh pellets in the fire pot after cleaning it. This seems to help establish a quick and healthy fire each time at startup.
3) Installed new auger motor.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2018, 12:19 PM   #9
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks rwalter, I did check the auger and it was moving properly, far as I could tell. Thing is, I exposed the firebox to see if I was even getting heat and there was none. There were pellets in the box, but no heat to lite them.
This was happening various times during the cook since I got the new stuff, however now it won't even start up as it usually does, on Smoke.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #10
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by darita View Post
Thanks rwalter, I did check the auger and it was moving properly, far as I could tell. Thing is, I exposed the firebox to see if I was even getting heat and there was none. There were pellets in the box, but no heat to lite them.
This was happening various times during the cook since I got the new stuff, however now it won't even start up as it usually does, on Smoke.
I think I misunderstood. If no heat, I’d be asking for a replacement Flash Fire igniter. They have a lifetime warranty. I am assuming you’ve checked, but is it plugged in nice and snug to the controller board? Sounds almost like it has an intermittent short.

Or am I still misunderstanding the issue?

Old 07-22-2018, 01:11 PM   #11
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
I think I misunderstood. If no heat, I’d be asking for a replacement Flash Fire igniter. They have a lifetime warranty. I am assuming you’ve checked, but is it plugged in nice and snug to the controller board? Sounds almost like it has an intermittent short.

Or am I still misunderstanding the issue?
rwalters, ya, that's the what's going on. One of my calls to MAK, the Tech guy told me to check the connections, which I did and all looks good. If there's a problem connection, then they'd have to find it with a meter or something. I'm thinking I'll ask for a new FF or like said, just send the PB and the FF back and have them go thru it. Of course, as usually happens, it will work fine at the shop. So maybe I should ask for a new FF first and try it out, if that fails, then I'll send everything back. Thanks for your feedback.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #12
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by darita View Post
rwalters, ya, that's the what's going on. One of my calls to MAK, the Tech guy told me to check the connections, which I did and all looks good. If there's a problem connection, then they'd have to find it with a meter or something. I'm thinking I'll ask for a new FF or like said, just send the PB and the FF back and have them go thru it. Of course, as usually happens, it will work fine at the shop. So maybe I should ask for a new FF first and try it out, if that fails, then I'll send everything back. Thanks for your feedback.

That’s what I’d do... wouldn’t be surprised if it’s nothing more than a faulty FF. I’ll tell you this... when you get this issue resolved you are gonna LOVE the FF igniter!!!

Old 07-26-2018, 11:56 AM   #13
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Just spoke with Bob at MAK...what a knowledgable guy...anyways, from what he's saying, sometimes the old PB doesn't play right with the new Flash Fire, so he's sending me a new board and FF and that should take care of the issues. I'm no expert for sure, but from the way the grill was operating, it felt like it was more than just the FF itself and was more systemic than that.
Hopefully, all will work out and I'll be a happy MAK owner once again. I have to say, this is why I purchased a MAK to start out with. I read that MAK really stands by their grills and does want to make everyone happy with their smokers. I'll post again, once I get everything in place and tested. Thanks for the replies.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #14
Smokey Lonesome
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Hope this solves your problem. Everyone here says MAK stands firmly behind their products and many go with MAK for that reason alone.

Let us know how the new board and FF work, either way.

Thanks!

The secret of success is to do the common things uncommonly well. - John D. Rockefeller
Smokey Lonesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2018, 03:37 PM   #15
rwalters

Nice! I am pretty darn sure you’ll be good to go with those two replacement parts :)