Chemical taste from KBB?

Whitewookie

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Personally, I’ve never noticed it and I’ve always used KBB. I can taste it when lighter fluid is used, especially the cheap dollar store stuff some people insist on using to “save money”. That’s why I use a chimney. I’ve never noticed a chemical taste from plain charcoal.

My question is this. If there is a noticeable chemical taste from charcoal that hasn’t ashed over, what about the Minion method? Wouldn’t you continually get the same chemical taste throughout the cook as the unlit coals light?
Similarly, wouldn’t adding fuel during a long cook cause the same chemical taste, or do y’all pre-light coal before adding in the chimney?

As I’ve said... still new to this long smoke game and learning. Thanks for you patience and indulgence.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I haven't noticed it either and I've used KBB for a longtime. I often wonder if people use lighter fluid and put the meat on the grill immediately before the fluid has burned off or if they get messy and get fluid all over the bottom of the grill. That stuff will sit there until it's hot enough to burn or evaporate and then you have fumes.

In very long cooks, ash production from KBB could be an issue. Otherwise, I couldn't tell the difference between plain charcoal or lump.

Yeah, like I said. I never noticed it with any plain charcoal. Just when fluid is used. Since switching to a chimney starter... no issues.

My concern is that I may just be used to it, and others I cook for may be tasting it.

VR,
Harold.

That is a darn good question about the minion method,Wook, and one I have never heard a good answer to. I never use that method myself out of just that concern.

That is a darn good question about the minion method,Wook, and one I have never heard a good answer to. I never use that method myself out of just that concern.

I use the Minion method often. Use it almost 100% of the time on my WSM. I’ve never noticed it, but as I said, I’m concerned about others tasting it.

VR,
Harold

I doubt they source their sawdust from one mill, and even if they did, I doubt the same wood, from the same trees, from the same areas are consistently used.

I do know when they changed from 2x20 to 2x18.6 packs, I noticed a difference. ...and confirmed since I had some 2x20 left when I first noticed to compare with. Really don't notice when cooking, only when starting chimney. I do burn them down pretty far before grilling, and don't smoke with them.

I guess just go with it until you or someone you cook for notices....it's cheap and burns well.

The raw charcoal smell goes away when all the unlit coals are super heated. They will then light clean from that point.

Personally I can taste the raw charcoal smell in all but the cleanest of minion burns. I prefer lump

I may have to give lump a try. Although I’ve read here that it burns hotter and faster, so isn’t good for a WSM...

What are you running lump in?

VR,
Harold

I may have to give lump a try. Although I’ve read here that it burns hotter and faster, so isn’t good for a WSM...

What are you running lump in?

VR,
Harold

I run lump in my uds. I tried briquettes a few times and it just isn't as clean to me. Back when I had an 18 wsm i was about 50/50 using charcoal and chunks. Half the time I had an off taste. Guess I got a sensitive palate.

I use kingsford for grilling.

I run lump in my uds. I tried briquettes a few times and it just isn't as clean to me. Back when I had an 18 wsm i was about 50/50 using charcoal and chunks. Half the time I had an off taste. Guess I got a sensitive palate.

I use kingsford for grilling.

I’m probably gonna give lump a try. Like they say.... Ya don’t know, ‘till ya know.

VR,
Harold.

I used nothing but lump in kamado for over a year, and I asked my wife to pick me up some charcoal and she bought KBB. I never use lighter fluid and always used the Minion method. I didn't pay attention to the smell of the coals in the chimney, but once I poured them onto non-lit coals in the firebox I noticed the smell IMMEDIATELY. I still had thin blue smoke after a few minutes coming out the exhaust damper, but the smell was horrible. I could smell and taste it on my food, and I absolutely hated it.

My family didn't notice much of a difference, if any, so my your mileage will vary I guess. After that cook I cleaned out the firebox and threw away the rest of the KBB and I haven't gone near it sense and likely never will. Lump, in my experience, burns better and more consistently anyways so I don't see the appeal of briquettes.

I know I will get some boos and hisses from this, but I combat the chemical taste from KBB with......Lighter Fluid! Seriously, douse the whole pile, don't let it soak in, and hit it with a match. When the whole shebang is ashed over and burning thin smoke, add your chunks and smoke away. The KBB is just heat at that point and the smell is gone.

My wife and I can taste the "chemical taste" described using KBB and no lighter fluid with the minion method. I have since switched to Weber charcoal (no taste at all) or lump. I understand that everybody has differences in taste, this was just unpleasant enough for me to necessitate a change.

Personally, I think the KBB chemical taste is a myth. Although they don't list the ingredients on the bag, I remember seeing them published somewhere once, and there was nothing in there that I would call an "artificial chemical." It includes some anthracite coal to increase the heat production and burn time, but that's no worse than eating pizza from a coal-fired oven, which is all the rage these days. KBB also includes some limestone (to turn the ash white so it will be visible), which also would not cause a chemical taste. I also seem to recall that the briqs are held together with food grade starch, so no "chemical binders."

All charcoal, including lump, smells bad when it is heating up. I would expect that off-gassing process to take longer with briquettes because they are denser than lump. The only time I've ever gotten an off flavor when doing a minion burn with KBB was when I put the food on immediately after dumping the lit coals on top of the unlit coals. Since then I've always given it 20 minutes or so for the temp to stabilize before putting the food on, and I've had no hint of an off flavor. I think you need that stabilization time no matter what kind of charcoal you're using, although, as I noted, the actual time might be different for lump since the density is different.

Personally, I think the KBB chemical taste is a myth. Although they don't list the ingredients on the bag, I remember seeing them published somewhere once, and there was nothing in there that I would call an "artificial chemical." It includes some anthracite coal to increase the heat production and burn time, but that's no worse than eating pizza from a coal-fired oven, which is all the rage these days. KBB also includes some limestone (to turn the ash white so it will be visible), which also would not cause a chemical taste. I also seem to recall that the briqs are held together with food grade starch, so no "chemical binders."

All charcoal, including lump, smells bad when it is heating up. I would expect that off-gassing process to take longer with briquettes because they are denser than lump. The only time I've ever gotten an off flavor when doing a minion burn with KBB was when I put the food on immediately after dumping the lit coals on top of the unlit coals. Since then I've always given it 20 minutes or so for the temp to stabilize before putting the food on, and I've had no hint of an off flavor. I think you need that stabilization time no matter what kind of charcoal you're using, although, as I noted, the actual time might be different for lump since the density is different.

Maybe that’s why I’ve never noticed it. I always allow a settling in time before cooking, even on the kettle. Always have. Usually about 15 min on the kettle. Still learning the WSM, but usually until it gets just above my desired cooking temp.

VR,
Harold

I just did a little quick research, for what internet research is worth.
Monkey Uncle is right. In KBB it’s all wood products (Sawdust) and minerals with starch as a binder.

The only mild eyebrow raiser is Borax, which is an odorless tasteless mineral.

Nothing I could see that would produce a lighter fluid smell, except the basic hydrocarbons present in wood to begin with.

Maybe it’s a density thing. Lump is less dense.

VR,
Harold

I know I will get some boos and hisses from this, but I combat the chemical taste from KBB with......Lighter Fluid! Seriously, douse the whole pile, don't let it soak in, and hit it with a match. When the whole shebang is ashed over and burning thin smoke, add your chunks and smoke away. The KBB is just heat at that point and the smell is gone.

Some of the successes I've had with briquettes (I find the off taste in bad minion burns with various brands) have been with what I have dubbed the PBC method.

Light off a whole basket and cook. Temps start a little high rendering fat and getting good bark and then cooling off to finish. Its actually based off of the wsm instruction manual

Water pans are good with this method for temp regulations

Back