MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  



Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2018, 11:39 PM   #1
KORND4WG X
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 06-05-13
Location: Seattle WA
Default Tri tip on the Watchman

Tri tip steaks from Costco with Suzie Q. This time I used lump to start the fire and a few smaller sticks of apple. Seemed to make a difference




I used my Smokey Joe lid to speed things up


In general the grate was around 350-375. 420 in places




A little rare for how I like my tri tip but still really juicy and tasty with a nice wood flavor.



Really liking the Watchman so far. Only negative is there’s no way to shut her down but no biggie.

Thanks for checking in
KORND4WG X is online now   Reply With Quote




Old 03-12-2018, 11:59 PM   #2
rwalters
is One Chatty Farker

 
rwalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-08-12
Location: Sacramento CA
Default

Awesome cook... and looks like a heck of a fun one too! Curious... how many cookers are you up to now? Seems like I hardly ever see you cooking on the same cooker more then a handful of times... lol.
__________________
MAK 2 Star -- 26.75" Weber kettle w/ SnS, Vortex and GrillGrates -- 36" Blackstone griddle -- 17" Blackstone griddle
rwalters is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 03-13-2018, 12:10 AM   #3
KORND4WG X
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 06-05-13
Location: Seattle WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Awesome cook... and looks like a heck of a fun one too! Curious... how many cookers are you up to now? Seems like I hardly ever see you cooking on the same cooker more then a handful of times... lol.
You’re killing me with that question bro

7 smokers and 2 grills. That doesn’t sound so bad now that I say it out loud
KORND4WG X is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 03-13-2018, 12:18 AM   #4
rwalters
is One Chatty Farker

 
rwalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-08-12
Location: Sacramento CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORND4WG X View Post
You’re killing me with that question bro



7 smokers and 2 grills. That doesn’t sound so bad now that I say it out loud


Doesn’t sound bad, but sure does make me feel inadequate :(
__________________
MAK 2 Star -- 26.75" Weber kettle w/ SnS, Vortex and GrillGrates -- 36" Blackstone griddle -- 17" Blackstone griddle
rwalters is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 03-13-2018, 12:22 AM   #5
KORND4WG X
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 06-05-13
Location: Seattle WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Doesn’t sound bad, but sure does make me feel inadequate :(
A Mak 2 came up on CL a couple months ago and I thought of all your awesome cooks on it. I kinda wish I could trade my BGE XL for one if the opportunity arises
KORND4WG X is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 03-13-2018, 12:30 AM   #6
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.


 
Titch's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-17-12
Location: South East Victoria Australia
Name/Nickname : Titch :-)
Default

You need more cookers
That tri tip looks great
__________________
And the lord said unto John, "Come forth and you will receive eternal life". John came fifth and won a toaster.

Unofficial Vegemite Sponsor.

Don't send the Foster's, it's a Federal crime(IamMadMan)

Join us for a Laugh.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Titch is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 03-13-2018, 12:33 AM   #7
KORND4WG X
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 06-05-13
Location: Seattle WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titch View Post
You need more cookers
That tri tip looks great
Thank you Titch. I knew this was a safe place
KORND4WG X is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 03-13-2018, 12:37 AM   #8
robert-r
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 03-29-15
Location: AntHome 92025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titch View Post
You need more cookers
That tri tip looks great
x2. We like our tri tip south of medium rare.
__________________
18.5/14.5 WSMs, 26.5 XL, 22.5 Performer, JJ & SJ Kettles, OKJ Highland, Genesis 330
robert-r is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 03-13-2018, 12:40 AM   #9
rwalters
is One Chatty Farker

 
rwalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-08-12
Location: Sacramento CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORND4WG X View Post
A Mak 2 came up on CL a couple months ago and I thought of all your awesome cooks on it. I kinda wish I could trade my BGE XL for one if the opportunity arises


This is just me... but given the choice... I’d take the MAK all day long over the BGE... and that’s after having cooked on ceramics for years. I have become a total convert to pellet cooking. A pellet head ;)
__________________
MAK 2 Star -- 26.75" Weber kettle w/ SnS, Vortex and GrillGrates -- 36" Blackstone griddle -- 17" Blackstone griddle
rwalters is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 03-13-2018, 12:42 AM   #10
stljay
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 05-14-15
Location: St. Louis, MO
Default

I wish one of our Costco's in St. Louis would carry tri-tip! They had it for a short while long ago and it's a great cut. Can't get them to carry prime plate ribs either. Only prime short ribs.
__________________
Hunsaker Drum, GMG Daniel Boone, Weber Summit Silver
stljay is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 03-13-2018, 12:43 AM   #11
KORND4WG X
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 06-05-13
Location: Seattle WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert-r View Post
x2. We like our tri tip south of medium rare.
Thanks robert Med rare tri tip is a little chewy for me so I try to shoot for medium now.
KORND4WG X is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 03-13-2018, 12:49 AM   #12
KORND4WG X
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 06-05-13
Location: Seattle WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
This is just me... but given the choice... I’d take the MAK all day long over the BGE... and that’s after having cooked on ceramics for years. I have become a total convert to pellet cooking. A pellet head ;)
Back in the day I was looking for *one* do it all cooker and chose the BGE. I really thought that would be my one and only cooker and then when searching for info I came across this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by stljay View Post
I wish one of our Costco's in St. Louis would carry tri-tip! They had it for a short while long ago and it's a great cut. Can't get them to carry prime plate ribs either. Only prime short ribs.
We’re fortunate here to have them all year around, both the full tri tip and already cut into steaks
KORND4WG X is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 03-13-2018, 01:01 AM   #13
rwalters
is One Chatty Farker

 
rwalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-08-12
Location: Sacramento CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORND4WG X View Post
Back in the day I was looking for *one* do it all cooker and chose the BGE. I really thought that would be my one and only cooker and then when searching for info I came across this place







We’re fortunate here to have them all year around, both the full tri tip and already cut into steaks


I do not think a true all-in-one cooker exists. There are cookers that come close, but I’ve never come across the true all in one.
__________________
MAK 2 Star -- 26.75" Weber kettle w/ SnS, Vortex and GrillGrates -- 36" Blackstone griddle -- 17" Blackstone griddle
rwalters is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 03-13-2018, 01:15 AM   #14
stljay
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 05-14-15
Location: St. Louis, MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
This is just me... but given the choice... I’d take the MAK all day long over the BGE... and that’s after having cooked on ceramics for years. I have become a total convert to pellet cooking. A pellet head ;)
But you still have a Weber for charcoal. We have a pellet and it cooks great food but it started to be a bit one note and boring. Thus we bought the drum to get a charcoal fired wood smoker that will give us different flavors but also a totally different approach in hanging meat and cooking hot and fast.

I'm trying to convince my wife the minimum number of smokers and grills I need is one more than I already have.....
__________________
Hunsaker Drum, GMG Daniel Boone, Weber Summit Silver
stljay is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 03-13-2018, 01:26 AM   #15
rwalters
is One Chatty Farker

 
rwalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-08-12
Location: Sacramento CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stljay View Post
But you still have a Weber for charcoal. We have a pellet and it cooks great food but it started to be a bit one note and boring. Thus we bought the drum to get a charcoal fired wood smoker that will give us different flavors but also a totally different approach in hanging meat and cooking hot and fast.



I'm trying to convince my wife the minimum number of smokers and grills I need is one more than I already have.....


We sure are a sick bunch, eh?? I wouldn’t have it any other way though :)
__________________
MAK 2 Star -- 26.75" Weber kettle w/ SnS, Vortex and GrillGrates -- 36" Blackstone griddle -- 17" Blackstone griddle
rwalters is online now   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.
Custom search MAY not work(no display box) in some configurations of Internet Explorer. Please use compliant version of Firefox or Chrome.







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts