MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:39 PM   #1
KORND4WG X
is One Chatty Farker

Default Tri tip on the Watchman

Tri tip steaks from Costco with Suzie Q. This time I used lump to start the fire and a few smaller sticks of apple. Seemed to make a difference

I used my Smokey Joe lid to speed things up

In general the grate was around 350-375. 420 in places

A little rare for how I like my tri tip but still really juicy and tasty with a nice wood flavor.

Really liking the Watchman so far. Only negative is there’s no way to shut her down but no biggie.

Thanks for checking in
KORND4WG X is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2018, 11:59 PM   #2
rwalters
is One Chatty Farker

Awesome cook... and looks like a heck of a fun one too! Curious... how many cookers are you up to now? Seems like I hardly ever see you cooking on the same cooker more then a handful of times... lol.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-13-2018, 12:10 AM   #3
KORND4WG X
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Awesome cook... and looks like a heck of a fun one too! Curious... how many cookers are you up to now? Seems like I hardly ever see you cooking on the same cooker more then a handful of times... lol.
You’re killing me with that question bro

7 smokers and 2 grills. That doesn’t sound so bad now that I say it out loud

Old 03-13-2018, 12:18 AM   #4
rwalters
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORND4WG X View Post
You’re killing me with that question bro

7 smokers and 2 grills. That doesn’t sound so bad now that I say it out loud

Doesn’t sound bad, but sure does make me feel inadequate :(

Old 03-13-2018, 12:22 AM   #5
KORND4WG X
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Doesn’t sound bad, but sure does make me feel inadequate :(
A Mak 2 came up on CL a couple months ago and I thought of all your awesome cooks on it. I kinda wish I could trade my BGE XL for one if the opportunity arises

Old 03-13-2018, 12:30 AM   #6
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

You need more cookers
That tri tip looks great

Unofficial Vegemite Sponsor.

Don't send the Foster's, it's a Federal crime(IamMadMan)

Join us for a Laugh.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Titch is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2018, 12:33 AM   #7
KORND4WG X
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titch View Post
You need more cookers
That tri tip looks great
Thank you Titch. I knew this was a safe place

Old 03-13-2018, 12:37 AM   #8
robert-r
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titch View Post
You need more cookers
That tri tip looks great
x2. We like our tri tip south of medium rare.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:40 AM   #9
rwalters
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
A Mak 2 came up on CL a couple months ago and I thought of all your awesome cooks on it. I kinda wish I could trade my BGE XL for one if the opportunity arises

This is just me... but given the choice... I’d take the MAK all day long over the BGE... and that’s after having cooked on ceramics for years. I have become a total convert to pellet cooking. A pellet head ;)

Old 03-13-2018, 12:42 AM   #10
stljay
On the road to being a farker

I wish one of our Costco's in St. Louis would carry tri-tip! They had it for a short while long ago and it's a great cut. Can't get them to carry prime plate ribs either. Only prime short ribs.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:43 AM   #11
KORND4WG X
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert-r View Post
x2. We like our tri tip south of medium rare.
Thanks robert Med rare tri tip is a little chewy for me so I try to shoot for medium now.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:49 AM   #12
KORND4WG X
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
This is just me... but given the choice... I’d take the MAK all day long over the BGE... and that’s after having cooked on ceramics for years. I have become a total convert to pellet cooking. A pellet head ;)
Back in the day I was looking for *one* do it all cooker and chose the BGE. I really thought that would be my one and only cooker and then when searching for info I came across this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by stljay View Post
I wish one of our Costco's in St. Louis would carry tri-tip! They had it for a short while long ago and it's a great cut. Can't get them to carry prime plate ribs either. Only prime short ribs.
We’re fortunate here to have them all year around, both the full tri tip and already cut into steaks

Old 03-13-2018, 01:01 AM   #13
rwalters
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Back in the day I was looking for *one* do it all cooker and chose the BGE. I really thought that would be my one and only cooker and then when searching for info I came across this place

We’re fortunate here to have them all year around, both the full tri tip and already cut into steaks

I do not think a true all-in-one cooker exists. There are cookers that come close, but I’ve never come across the true all in one.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:15 AM   #14
stljay
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
But you still have a Weber for charcoal. We have a pellet and it cooks great food but it started to be a bit one note and boring. Thus we bought the drum to get a charcoal fired wood smoker that will give us different flavors but also a totally different approach in hanging meat and cooking hot and fast.

I'm trying to convince my wife the minimum number of smokers and grills I need is one more than I already have.....

Old 03-13-2018, 01:26 AM   #15
rwalters
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stljay View Post
But you still have a Weber for charcoal. We have a pellet and it cooks great food but it started to be a bit one note and boring. Thus we bought the drum to get a charcoal fired wood smoker that will give us different flavors but also a totally different approach in hanging meat and cooking hot and fast.

I'm trying to convince my wife the minimum number of smokers and grills I need is one more than I already have.....

We sure are a sick bunch, eh?? I wouldn’t have it any other way though :)