Ugly Drum Smoker - Food Grade Liner

Nelskin

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Just got a free barrel that held pear juice and it has a liner. Do I need to burn/sand that out or can I just season over it?

Thanks,

Jes

I would burn it out or sandblast it.

How many BTUs on a weed burner needed to burn out the liner?

So, if using a weed burner is the best method (except sandblasting - which isn't easy) what is the BTU output needed?

I can get a weedburner for $50 - $60 but I have no idea where to get sandblasting done.

Burned one last weekend. After burning I scrubbed it down with ajax. Liner came right out.

So, if using a weed burner is the best method (except sandblasting - which isn't easy) what is the BTU output needed?

I can get a weedburner for $50 - $60 but I have no idea where to get sandblasting done.

I've never used a weed burner for this... just load it up with scrap wood (fill it full) and light'er up.

Check with metal shops or cemetery monument companies. I have gotten prices of $20-$25 to sandblast just the interior of a drum.

I've never used a weed burner for this... just load it up with scrap wood (fill it full) and light'er up.

I'm thinking these guys are taking the weed burner directly to the interior of the drum, not making a fire. Maybe I'm wrong.

I am currently building an Ugly Drum Smoker and I made the mistake of getting one with a red liner. I should have known better since I researched this forum and found numerous warnings against drums with liners in it:doh:. In my defence, I thought the liner was a rubber coating or something similar (i thought mine was paint, yes iam this dense.) Harbor freight sells a $20 weed burner what worked well to burn out/loosen most of the liner. I recommend burning liner out that stuff smells awful when heat it applied (and the smoke it produces ain't no thin blue). The reputation of the red liner is well deserved i still have to grind out the liner (im about 1/3 of the way through). Not looking forward to climbing inside and grinding out the rest:shock:

I am currently building an Ugly Drum Smoker and I made the mistake of getting one with a red liner. I should have known better since I researched this forum and found numerous warnings against drums with liners in it:doh:. In my defence, I thought the liner was a rubber coating or something similar (i thought mine was paint, yes iam this dense.) Harbor freight sells a $20 weed burner what worked well to burn out/loosen most of the liner. I recommend burning liner out that stuff smells awful when heat it applied (and the smoke it produces ain't no thin blue). The reputation of the red liner is well deserved i still have to grind out the liner (im about 1/3 of the way through). Not looking forward to climbing inside and grinding out the rest:shock:

I feel ya! Mine did not have the liner and it was still a pain to grind out the insides. You'll be happy when it's done though.

I picked up my most recent drum from a place that does oil changes. It had synthetic blend oil in it, No Liner. I'm actually looking forward to working this one. I picked up one of the weed burners fro Harbor Freight. In my opinion every man should own one:cool:. The thing is awesome. I used it to cure the Hi-Temp paint on my UDS. No more looking for discarded pallets to do a burn, WooHoo:thumb:

Yair . . . Why not use lube oil drums? They are nice and clean and there is no stuffing around with grinding/sanding . . . maybe on the outside if you are fussy. I don't bother, I just paint them over with stove black

I can never see the point in food grade and having to deal with coatings and liners. They sure won't be "food grade" when you finish melting and burning and sanding out the liner or coating.

Some of them sure do have nice lids though but if you cut oil drums in the right place you can use the tops or bottoms for lids.

Cheers.

Agree with the above. The liners are only "food grade" when used as intended, the same way that plastic Tupperware is food grade when used as intended. Put either one in a 300-degree environment, and you have a decidedly non-food-grade situation. I see folks on Craigslist around here selling UDSs and barrel grills made of 55-gallon drums and touting the "food grade" barrels they used, but with the liners still 100% intact. :doh:

Back