Drum dolly options for UDS

bbq1980

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I know a traditional dolly and attaching casters directly to the bottom of the drum are alternative means of adding mobility to a UDS, I'd prefer a drum dolly. I was looking at this one from Northern Tool but with my intakes centered 2" above the bottom, the lip height will be an issue. Similar dollies have a comparable 2" lip.

I was also looking at a different model in a "X" style where I could likely situate the intakes so that they're not obscured but I need to make a quick sketch to confirm that. This is also cheaper. What have other folks done (besides using magnets, regular dollies, etc)? Thx.

Wow $60 for such a simple set up, seems to me you could fab one up for much less.

I use a standard drum Dollie with my UDS, and yes, the lip was in the way. Nothing an angle grinder and jig saw couldn't fix, though. I cut slots for my valves and was good to go. Got mine from uline. Love it

I use the 1484 drum dolly from Northern Tool, it works great. I also use magnets to cover my intakes, so no interference.

I'm going to try and make one with adjustable legs so I can level it off when sitting it on the grass.

I also use magnets to cover my intakes, so no interference.

Do you just cover the holes, or do you have nipples in the holes and then place the magnet over the nipple ?? The reason I ask is because I did it without nipples and one of my magnets stuck to my drum and I do not know if it was because my paint was to fresh or if because my magnet was over 15yrs old or if the heat made it stick. This sheet of magnet was pretty thick, not the thin kind.

I'm going to try and make one with adjustable legs so I can level it off when sitting it on the grass.

Do you just cover the holes, or do you have nipples in the holes and then place the magnet over the nipple ?? The reason I ask is because I did it without nipples and one of my magnets stuck to my drum and I do not know if it was because my paint was to fresh or if because my magnet was over 15yrs old or if the heat made it stick. This sheet of magnet was pretty thick, not the thin kind.

This is what I did. Although I had to redo the super glue with a high temp silicone. It is a fender washer with (2) 3/4" magnets that act as a magnetic plug. They just stick to the side of the drum while they are not being used.

Attachments

• 2012-07-10_14-39-11_888.jpg
    2012-07-10_14-39-11_888.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 98
uds007-1.jpg

this is what I initially did...
attachment.php
attachment.php

The Main Base of the Washer Deck was too narrow for Drum Support on each side so I cut the lip from the deck sides to accommodate addition of Channel Iron Extensions/Axle Mounts and bolted it securely to deck along with two larger shoulder bolts on either side that secure DrumPit to frame. The heads of the shoulder bolts lock down upon the outside lip of the Drum Bottom.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Keeping it nice and slip free when I lift up front of Buggy for travel.
attachment.php

I just bolted some wheels to the base of my drum. One wheel has a stop break

Back