Pork Steaks on the Santa Maria

ruger35

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Getting some prep in tonight for tomorrow. Realized I didn't take enough butts out so have a couple more defrosting. Only the second time doing these, hoping for a repeat of the last cook and that it wasn't just dumb luck the first time.

Side note, who you got fight fans, Addesanya or Costa?

PXL-20200926-022417497-PORTRAIT-01-COVER.jpg

PXL-20200926-031211498-PORTRAIT.jpg

I love pork steaks, 3/4" or less 1"+ is closer to CSR to me, love either but takes me a lot longer to do the CSR so not easy to do on a work night. so little time and so many choices lol

Had a pork steak last night, and man, it was great. Wife is out of town so I get to have those things she does not like.
Those look fantastic and I am looking forward to the cook pictures!!

Made some last week

Its a mighty tasty cut

Looking forward to seeing your cook, they look beautiful

Only second time doing them, last time I took them to 185-190 before pulling off. Any other suggestions?

Pretty darn good! Tried my own rub concoction and ended up adding a mustard bbq sauce and some Smokin Jalapeno rub to the mop. They took around 6 hours total, was getting tired of waiting and getting ready for the fights so we did wrap them in foil to speed them along.

These would be great in a direct fire cooker like a Chud Box. Much easier to regulate a consistent heat to them than an open fire Santa Maria like I was using. Still not very hard, just adjusting the grates. I actually have a full size hotel pan with 7-8 more steaks I ran out of time cooking and am giving away tomorrow. Coworker will be eating good!

PXL-20200927-011249142-PORTRAIT-01-COVER.jpg

PXL-20200926-224047336-PORTRAIT-01-COVER.jpg

PXL-20200926-225640078-PORTRAIT-01-COVER.jpg

PXL-20200926-202445249-PORTRAIT-01-COVER.jpg

Looks mighty fine from here, some days I prefer them over a beef steak, reckon pork fat does rule lol

Looks like a winner

I love my Santa Maria- but no way in heck would I do a 6 or 7 hour cook on it. I could try them on my wood fired cabinet - 3 grates- no consistency in temps. The top runs cool, I cook on the middle- just right and the bottom....it's hotter than hell. I never use it...but for Pork steaks- might JUST be the ticket.

Thanks for sharing - and maybe giving me something "new" to cook.

Back