Pulled Pork For 20 ?

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Got a cook for family around Christmas. Pulled pork on buns. How many butts should I cook? Each will have 1 a piece. I was thinking 2 butts would be more than enough to do it but want to check here.

Going to use Oak Ridge rub. Thinking about mixing more rub after they are pulled to add some flavor and serve with several different sauces each person could add to taste.

Any input appreciated.

Rule of thumb I've always heard is a pound of pre-cooked weight per person. If you can find two 10 lb butts, you're good; otherwise plan on three.

I figure 50% loss in cooking to be on the safe side, & then maybe think about 4 sammiches per pound for normal/lighter eaters, and 3 sammiches per pound for bigger eaters. 2 butts - figuring they're in the 7-8# range - should get you where you need to be. My tendency is to overdo everything, so I'd do 3 - always nice to send some off with folks, have seconds, leftovers, etc. plus it's always great to have PP in the freezer.

Mike, I would agree doing 3 would cover the cook for 20, Sometimes the amount put on the bun exceeds the average 4 oz serving. The extra sauces and the spike of rub before serving sounds like a great Idea.
Have a great time with the cook Brother, and while your at it, post some Pron.

Thanks for all the great input folks! I'm leaning towards 2 large ones at this point. :thumb:

I smoke a 10 lb pork butt about once a month for the 10 men I work with. We always have enough for a couple left overs. About half of the 10 will eat two sandwiches. Two 10 lb. pork butts should be enough but three 7.5-8 lb ones would be on the safe side.

Thanks for all the great input folks! I'm leaning towards 2 large ones at this point. :thumb:

Can I try and talk you into 3 small instead of 2 large butts? The greater surface area of the 3 will give more bark pieces than 2 larger butts. And the bites with bark, are IMHO, the best part.

I smoked 50 lbs pre cooked for the highschool football team and we had 108 sandwiches. We used the larger buns as well.

I'm cooking for 16 Friday and I am doing 2 8# butts (16#). so I would go 3 probably for 20. Unless their small eaters

Is that all you are serving? With my family, I would cook 2 7-8 pounders, and end up with about 2 half pans full. We wouldn't even finish 1, and I'd give away the second pan. But, we would have another protein, and several hearty sides, too.

I'd cook 4.

2 on each grate of your WSM.

This way, you can send some home with your company and have some for the freezer.

I always mix some rub in the finished product along with some of my vinegar sauce and the de-fatted drippings.

I'd go 3 in the 7-8# range. Should be more than enough and you will have some leftovers to have some fun with. I think 2 large 10+ pounders would get the job done if you are anti-leftovers.

I would think that two good size butts would be enough. I just smoked a large butt a couple of days ago and it definitely looked like enough for 10.

Back