MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 07-30-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Arrow Special BBQ Brethren "Virgin, Rookie, Amateur, FNG" Throwdown!

Caseydog requested this category, and I think it was a good idea. We did it once before a while back and it was a hit.

This is an OPEN CATEGORY. That means you can enter any dish you wish.

The idea for a Virgin Throwdown is to encourage newer members, or even more senior members who do not normally (or rarely) participate in the Throwdowns to have a chance to do so against a level playing field of other likewise newcomers to the Throwdowns.

If you have competed in 3 or fewer Throwdowns, you are eligible to enter this Throwdown.

It seems that some people may feel intimidated to enter a Throwdown because there are some rather good photographers that post their food pics. This eliminates that problem right out!

That said however, I encourage anyone and everyone to participate in the Throwdowns regularly. You do not need to fear. I enter things all the time and my food is commonly suggested to be on the same level as cat puke. So it's not like you are going to enter the worst thing on any given week. I've got that one covered for you already!

Honestly, it is not always the best looking photo, or even the best sounding dish that wins. I can't begin to tell you how many times I have been surprised by entries that did not win that I thought were stellar. Anyone, and I mean that literally, has a chance to win the Throwdown on any given week. So you should give it a try.

Everyone who participates always seems to love it and has fun. It's a way to still enjoy cooking your food on the weekend, and even showing it off here on the forums with a shot at winning it all that week.

Guerry (brother deguerre) once entered a single dish in two Throwdowns that were both running that weekend. In one of them he got zero votes for his dish, but in the other one he WON IT! Do you see what I mean? There is no reason to not enter if you have ever felt even the slightest inkling to do so.

So please, take this opportunity to enter your first Throwdown, or to shake off the rust and try it again.

OK, enough blabbing.

Here are the rules.

1. You must have only participated in 3 or fewer past Throwdowns to enter. If you are unsure if you qualify, ask me and I will tell you.
2. The item you cook must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients in a prominent manner.
3. Submitted dishes must be cooked between Friday 8/5 and Sunday 8/14 at Midnight Central Time.
4. All pics (any number) must be submitted by Midnight Central Time on Sunday night 8/14.
5. Only one picture from each dish will be used for voting, so please specify which one you want used, otherwise I will choose and my decision will be final.
6. You are allowed to enter more than one dish. If you feel you will have any edge by doing this, or simply want to share more than one dish, please feel free to do so. Please note that normal Throwdowns only allow one dish per person, but that is being suspended for this specific Throwdown.
7. You are allowed to touch up your photos for clarity, or to add the dish/item to a more interesting background if you like.
8. By posting your photos, you are granting consent for your photo to be reused for other BBQ Brethren related postings or materials.
9. Any joke photos, or photos of past creations you wish to show off must have a disclaimer stating that the photo is not intended to be included in the Vote thread.
10. If you have any problems with any of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for any reason, DO NOT COMPLAIN TO ME! Instead, please use the ***VOTE*** thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. Any complaints posted in any Throwdown thread, or directed to me via any other means will be ignored.
10. If I find an entry to have violated these simple rules, I reserve the right to disqualify that entry.
11. As at any neighborhood block party, the kids are present and part of the festivities, so please keep your posts family friendly.
12. The only time a team entry will be accepted is when the team entry is made by Brethren at a Brethren Bash, and the team name must also be submitted with the entry. Otherwise only individual entries will be accepted.

And finally...anyone who is found to not be having fun and/or trying to detract from other people's fun in these Throwdowns will be moderated and tossed out of our little party until such a time as you are fun again.

Best of luck, and good eats to all!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.

Last edited by bigabyte; 08-03-2011 at 12:20 AM..
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Does it count if I have a brand new smoker that has not been entered in mroe than 3 throwdowns yet???? (Actually 1 new smoker and 1 new griller!)

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
bigabyte

No, you are way too much of a Throwdown slut. You corrupted those poor cooker with your sluttiness the second you ordered them. They are some hot looking cookers though!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I can't participate, but I like to watch.

These are fun. I hope everyone gets involved. I always enjoy the ones I enter. It isn't about winning for me, just something silly to do. I never take perfect plating or getting the photos too serious.

Good luck everyone.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
Tango Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

I think I am just at 3 entries so far. I better go check it out...
Old 08-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

Hmmm.... first time, I'm gonna give it a try. :)

I'm guessing a beef brisket, or perhaps some carnitas.
twinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
caseydog

Has this been mentioned in the general Q-Talk area? A lot of folks won't see it in the Throwdowns forum -- if they don't come here. Just a thought.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
bigabyte

I think a series of posts from various folks spread out over a few days may get the most attention. Some people only follow certain people's threads in Q-Talk. I've noticed this mostly because only a very small set of people seem to read and respond to my threads any more!

Duh.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
I think a series of posts from various folks spread out over a few days may get the most attention. Some people only follow certain people's threads in Q-Talk. I've noticed this mostly because only a very small set of people seem to read and respond to my threads any more!
There afraid it will be another SPAM dish.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Zukes View Post
I think I am just at 3 entries so far. I better go check it out...
You're good. You have entered exactly 3 Throwdowns; Buffalo, Carnival Food and Independence Day.

Duh.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #11
Sleepy Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

Hmm, I wonder how many TDs I have participated in? Offhand I can recall bacon and satay...
Sleepy Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #12
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Smoker View Post
Hmm, I wonder how many TDs I have participated in? Offhand I can recall bacon and satay...
You are eligible, you have entered exactly 3 Throwdowns. The other one was Breakfast Sandwiches.

Duh.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
Sleepy Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
You are eligible, you have entered exactly 3 Throwdowns. The other one was Breakfast Sandwiches.
Oh yeah, that's right! Thanks for reminding me how ticked off I was at myself for letting the gravy set up just a bit too much by the time I got around to building my sandwich for the picture.
Sleepy Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #14
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Ok, you got a newby. It seems there are two main threads

1) for posting your pictures and description
2) voting

I don't have a warm fuzzy on the process/procedure.
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #15
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy_Shuford View Post
Ok, you got a newby. It seems there are two main threads

1) for posting your pictures and description
2) voting

I don't have a warm fuzzy on the process/procedure.
You are correct, there are two main threads. This is the first one.

If you would like to enter, just cook something up and submit the photos by the deadline by posting them along with any descriptive text you would like to add in this very thread right here.

After the deadline, I will collect all of the pictures and create a voting thread with a poll for people to vote on the dish they think should win. That poll is open for 5 days, at the end of which we will know the winner.

Technically, there is also a 3rd thread, where the winner is announced and their entry is displayed along with all of he other winners from this year. As we continue along, future winners are added and displayed along with the past winners which will include this one, thus the winning entry will continue to live in that "Hall of Flame" in perpetuity.

Here's an example of a recent entry thread (where dishes are submitted) for the "Fajita" Throwdown.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=110626

After the deadline for that one passed I put up this vote thread for people to decide the winner. This one happened to be a record landslide vote, we never had such a margin of victory before. Most times multiple dishes are close up to the end, and we have even had many ties.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=111579

After the poll closed, I posted this thread announcing the winner. Note that they are listed along with this years past winners, and even has links to the "Hall of Flame" threads for every year we have had Throwdowns.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=112029

Please feel free to join in the fun. Those who do enjoy the Throwdowns enjoy them a great deal. We tend to have a lot of fun with it.

Duh.