WSM Thermometer Replacement

watertowerbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've got a newer 18 1/2" WSM and the thermometer never seemed to give a consistent reading. I'd recently decided that for larger cooks I was going to be using a new cooker that should be arriving shortly and I am going to do shorter cooks on the WSM without the guru. I always liked running the WSM before I had the guru and I wanted to get back to that. That isn't a slam on the guru (I love both of my DigiQII's!), just something I decided I wanted to get back to.

Anyway, I purchased a small thermometer from TNT Landscaping here in town and was going to drill a hole into the lid to "permanently" install the thermometer. My only regret was that I didn't want to drill into the lid and ruin the surface. As I was looking at the lid tonight, I began to wonder how big the hole was on the lid. I removed the thermometer and there was a single hole for the stem of the thermometer and another little slot where the housing of the existing thermometer snapped into. I was pleasantly surprised when I realized that the stem and threads of the replacement thermometer just slipped through the hole. I tightened it up with a 11/16" combination wrench and presto.........new reliable thermometer.

I'm sure others already figured this out, but thought it might be of use to someone else. Please disregard how dirty the lid is. That cooker is in need of a good cleaning.

WSMThermometer.jpg

Back