To flip or not to flip???...Man I almost flipped!!

firecracker jack

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So today rolled around and I was supposed to hook up with a friend and do some fab work on the Dpp-60, as well as build a couple of drums..He had to work 6-days this week and then had a bunch to do around the house so we put off the fab work till next weekend...
So I decided to do my spin on some Baltimore pit beef (I believe usually bottom round roast...I used sirloin tip cause it was on sale). Put it on the drum and inserted my temp probe and let her go....Burning all lump charcoal my temps were a little high, 287*-294*, but for this roast I wasn't concerned....I hit an internal temp of 145* after about three hours and pulled her off to rest. Now I never worry about flipping any other cut of meat on the drum, and didn't flip the roast this time either...After letting it rest for 15min or so I cut it half to fit it on the slicer and dang if it wasn't cooked nice on the bottom half and a little too rare on the upper! At that point I put it back on the drum figuring I'd just ruined it, and I was almost flippin' out......Timed it rather than reinserting the probe...Let her stay on for about 30-35min. and pulled her again to rest and the slice....
Guess I got lucky cause it turned out a nice medium in the center and a little more well to the outside(which the wife prefers).

The roast was liberally seasoned with kosher salt, black pepper, fresh garlic, oregano, and a little rosemary. It was served pilled high on some asiago cheese bread slathered with a mayo, dijon, horseradish, vinegar dressing. The dressing was also used to make a rough chopped slaw that topped off the sandwiches....Served with corn steamed in the husks.

Dang near tastey!!:thumb:

Thanks for checking out, my supper...:clap2:

firecrackerjack

005-12.jpg

004-11.jpg

006-8.jpg

015-6.jpg

012-8.jpg

009-11.jpg

017-6.jpg

016-5.jpg

025-4.jpg

021-5.jpg

020-7.jpg

Isn't it funny how you can think things have turned to chit and a little work puts everything right? Looks good enough to eat.

Just an idea.....

Maybe next time cook on a rack in a tin foil pan like you would in the oven. This way the pan will work as a heat shield and you should get a more even cook by keeping it elevated with the rack.

Back