MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Garth57
Full Fledged Farker

Default Brisket temp

Where do you take the temp on brisket...flat, point? I know you stick probe in and when it's like butter it's ready. I'm not sure I can tell when "it's like butter", so looking at temp for comparison. After a few more briskets, I'll be trusting the probing method. Hope everyones having a good Labor Day! Cooking 10 lb brisket, 2 spatchlock chickens, bbq beans, fatty, potato salad and maybe having a few brewski's.

CBBQA Member #1218
KCBS Cert. Judge #23431
s.U.D.S. (small 30 gal. UDS)
UDS
Brinkman vertical Smoke 'n Pit
Traeger BBQ100
NorcoRednecks-UDS 85 gal/remod
[I]TemequeBBQ[/I]-insulated vert smoker
Garth57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
bbq lover
is one Smokin' Farker

we use this with good success smoker temp .. 220-240 smoke to 185 if a tooth pick slides in easy good if not keep going but to go over 200 wrap after done and it rested for 5 min then wrap and let it sit till all your meat is done unwrap slice all the wrapped meat will stay warm for hrs .. just are way hope it helps

Old 09-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Garth57
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq lover View Post
we use this with good success smoker temp .. 220-240 smoke to 185 if a tooth pick slides in easy good if not keep going but to go over 200 wrap after done and it rested for 5 min then wrap and let it sit till all your meat is done unwrap slice all the wrapped meat will stay warm for hrs .. just are way hope it helps
In the flat or point?

CBBQA Member #1218
KCBS Cert. Judge #23431
s.U.D.S. (small 30 gal. UDS)
UDS
Brinkman vertical Smoke 'n Pit
Traeger BBQ100
NorcoRednecks-UDS 85 gal/remod
[I]TemequeBBQ[/I]-insulated vert smoker
Garth57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

You put the thermometer probe in the thickest part of the flat. Then follow BBQ Lover's advise.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

At over 3300 viewing this topic was handled by my recipe called

Night Train in a Dark Closet
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ht+dark+closet

The Premise is that I noticed there was a lot of confusion as to the ZENITH that can be reached by a Brisket. The Internal Temperature Theory started with good intentions as many wanted a way to teach how to make brisket in a new way, over the internet. The IT was perfect for this. And as a result, even though one brisket will eb the same temp as the next, it may get done to the "feel" sooner than another. So people began settling on a temperature when ALL briskets should be done.

This is not a good way to tell if you don't use foil. Foil, is going to keep the moisture in but old style methods when you have a few briskets done at, say 170, yes I saw one tender at 170, then anymore cookign and you are drying meat.

The recipe above was to do two things... and it is not BBQ. It is to give a BASE feel for everyone to learn feel with.... IE Cook it this way, for the right time, and you will have the butter feel. If its too tender for your region or for KCBS, say... dial your feel back. But the goal is to get that feel from your pit.

And NO... Do not simply do this in a smoker. Its good eats too.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth57 View Post
Where do you take the temp on brisket...flat, point? I know you stick probe in and when it's like butter it's ready. I'm not sure I can tell when "it's like butter", so looking at temp for comparison. After a few more briskets, I'll be trusting the probing method. Hope everyones having a good Labor Day! Cooking 10 lb brisket, 2 spatchlock chickens, bbq beans, fatty, potato salad and maybe having a few brewski's.

I'll be over when you call it done to let you know how you did.
Where is the photo's of your "alleged" cook? Using the pellet pooper?

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote