• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pork Loin = Boneless Pork Chops

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
I guess I am the probably the last Dude in the universe to figure this out :twisted:

We love Pork Chops and shop for thick ones all the time. Hard to find nice thick ones, so we do without.
And, they charge an "arm and a leg" for thick "bone-in" chops, when we can find them.

Now, I discover that "bone in" pork chops are just baby back ribs with the loin still attached!
Cook the "loin" part correctly, and the "rib" part is tough as can be.
What a waste of good ribs.

So, we now just buy loins. I cut them into 1.5 inch chunks and vacu-suck to store. Just two of us eating most of the time.
Thaw those puppies and grill them when we want chops.
Sometimes, I slice a pocket so Mrs Kapn can get creative with some stuffing.

Anyway--I fess up.
Never put that together before and sure wasted a lot of time and money. :mad:

Kinda like where the butcher cuts up a $1/lb butt and sells it for $2.99/lb as "Pork Steak" or "Country Style Ribs"!

TIM

I'll raise my hand and admit to this too.

( but only because I don't want you to feel alone. ):lol:

Oh Yeah. Whenever the boneless loins go on sale around here I slice them up about an inch and a quarter to an inch and a half thick. Vaccu suck and freeze. If you bag and freeze individually they thaw on the counter in about an hour. Well within food safety guidelines.

Well, I knew the loin was a boneless chop but I did not realize that the bone was it was the baby back rib. Makes sense though when I think about it all now.

Definitely a cost savings doing to loin and cutting into individual serving sizes.

Well, I knew the loin was a boneless chop but I did not realize that the bone was it was the baby back rib. Makes sense though when I think about it all now.

Definitely a cost savings doing to loin and cutting into individual serving sizes.

Me either.

We like to pan fry thin chops so I buy the loins at sams and run them through the slicer the thickness I like. Vacuum pack and freeze em.

Thanks for the heads up Tim.

Trying to purchase bone in thick cut pork chops around here is like trying to find a whole packer brisket.

I will definately try this soon.

Ummmmmm. wow, I've been cutting my pork chops from loin for as long as I can remember. It is a very versatile meat. Quite under rated as a matter of fact.

Shhhh. Don't tell anyone else or I will end up paying 4.95 a pound for them in a month.

We use them at the store to make stuffed pork chops. Slice them an inch or so thick but butterfly them and bake semi open with a nice sausage stuffing mix. Lay that on a bed of rice and put your favorite vegie side next to it and you have quite a meal.

I have done many a prok chop dinner using loins.

Been doing it for years. You can usually find a nice loin at Sam's for under $2/lb.

I was talking to Tim and he told me about this... I told him that I had a butcher that carried the loins with the bone in. He would cut the bone off to make a slab of BBs and then tie it back on. I would cook the whole thing with the bone on for the flavor and then at the end I would take the rack off and crisp it up over higher heat.

Don't feel bad, I don't understand a whole lot about different cuts of meat and where they come from. I just buy some meat, smoke it and eat it. I guess I should do a little research to understand this better.

i did some last week and they look like this

lakehousefireworks2008-015.jpg

They say you learn something everyday and again I learned something new from the brethern (thanks Tim). One question though, are you guys refering to pork loins or a pork loin roast? I have seen both and cooked many a pork loin but I never tried the roasts, just wondering...Thanks

btw RTD those look killer!

i get the whole ~18 pound pork loin at sams or iga. sometime i cut it in half and smoke one half whole and cut the other half into 'boneless chops' and freeze them till later.

try this link:
click

They say you learn something everyday and again I learned something new from the brethern (thanks Tim). One question though, are you guys refering to pork loins or a pork loin roast? I have seen both and cooked many a pork loin but I never tried the roasts, just wondering...Thanks

btw RTD those look killer!

Those pork loin end roasts are reasonably priced here. I grind them up for sausage. Nice and lean.

Back