1st Contest with the Spicewine

Keller Steeler

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well I have everything cleaned up. All I can say is that it cooked better than I imagined. I decided to use the charcoal basket, with water, and the DigiQ II. It stayed dialed in all day. I only used 20 lbs of charcoal.

As far as the Guru not working well with water debate - I don't think it had any effect. My temp gauge on the smoker had the same difference as when I cooked her dry and I threw in another thermometer to confirm. Now of course they all could have been off from the water condensation, but I am not buying it. All I know is I love the product when I use water and the guru stayed locked in so I am staying with that configuration.

I cooked six racks of ribs, 3 brisket flats, and two chickens. This was an IBCA contest. I did not get any calls, but did make the final table (top 15 or 16) in brisket and ribs. It was a tough crowd and something was off in ribs and chickens - not due to the SW, but my glaze had some funky aftertaste. Does old brown sugar give off a different taste and texture? I do not know if that was it but that is what I am guessing right now.

Deez Q had two calls - chicken and brisket I - congrats Eric. I do not know if Tony76248 made the final table in brisket (I was walking out when they were calling numbers), but I think he was robbed - his brisket may have been the one of the finest briskets I have ever tasted - the texture was perfect too. I met Derrick there too, hopefully he will be cooking next month at the Knights of Columbus in Irving.

Sorry no Pron - forgot the camera.

Jay - I had about 15 people walk up and take a look at the cooker. They were very impressed. Even the people that had seen pictures had no idea how large it actually is. Thanks again for a great cooker.

Glad your cooker worked well. Wish I had made the cook-off, but things came up. May try to get to the K of C in Irving. Been wanting to meet some of you in person.

Glad thing went well for you...and hope you have good calls all year.

Congrats on getting the first one under your belt! Take what you learned and use it to get better for the next one!

Glaze didn't taste funky to me I think the judges pallets were off those were some mighty fine ribs my friend ,and you guy's are all class acts thanks for making me feel welcome.

Brian,

Thanks for the comment on my brisket. That one is going to be hard to top, based on the first place brisket, they preferred sweet. I went up and tasted the final table. Mine had a little bit more spice to it. I'll try to cook the same one at the next event and hopefully finish higher. I did get final table on Ribs also.

Glaze didn't taste funky to me I think the judges pallets were off those were some mighty fine ribs my friend ,and you guy's are all class acts thanks for making me feel welcome.

Derrick,

Glad you enjoyed yourself, thanks for staying throughout to see how we finished. I'll talk to you this week about the rub..... and maybe the glaze...

Cool and just like you said dont don't change a thing that was the best farking brisket i've ever had true story.

Thanks Derrick. There was something off, so I am thinking it was the brown sugar. Tony agreed with me, he tasted my ribs in keller and they were much better.

Hope to see you in Irving next month and Tony if you are going to share, you better share with everyone.

Good job everyone. I guess waiting on the trailer was worth all the aggravation. Keep on trying. Sure would like to taste that best brisket ever!

I hope to have a Spicewine someday, and am gathering info. for now.
What model do you have?

Edit Mod: Disregard the question... I just saw your signature. You must have the "Large" Spicewine.:lol:

Last edited:
Back