• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Vegan BBQ

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
OK ... No I have not gone vegan ... I wouldn't survive. The farther of a friend of the family passed away a couple days ago and we are going to take a dinner over to them. Only catch is they are Vegan. I have Zero ideas here but was thinking about BBQ (like always) and thought "I wonder if the brethren have any BBQ Vegan recipes???"

I'm going to marinate the hell out of tofu and then smoke it with some veggies or some sort and do smoked back beans and slaw.

I've spent hours looking at pasta dishes - honestly til today I had no idea that vegetarians ate eggs and vegans didn't. I didn't think vegetarians ate eggs! ...

I'm going to marinate the hell out of tofu and then smoke it with some veggies or some sort and do smoked back beans and slaw.

I've spent hours looking at pasta dishes - honestly til today I had no idea that vegetarians ate eggs and vegans didn't. I didn't think vegetarians ate eggs! ...
You might check with them to see if they mind it being cooked in a pit seasoned in animal fat...

Avoidance

The issue that divided the 19th- and early 20th-century vegetarians – whether to avoid animal products for reasons of ethics or health – persists. Dietary vegans avoid consuming any animal products (no meat, fish, eggs or dairy products), but might use them in clothing and toiletries.[50] Against this, ethical vegans see veganism as a philosophy; they reject the commodification of animals and will not use them for food, clothing, entertainment or any other purpose.[51] The British Vegan Society will only certify a product if it is free of animal involvement as far as possible and practical, including animal testing.[52]

Animal products include meat, poultry and seafood, eggs, dairy products, honey and beeswax, fur, leather, wool, silk, goose down and duck feathers; they also include lesser known products such as bone char, bone china, carmine, casein, cochineal, gelatin, isinglass, lanolin, lard, rennet, shellac, tallow, whey and yellow grease. Many of the lesser known ones may not be identified in the list of ingredients.[53]

I would skip the BBQ and cook in the oven. many Vegans freak out about that kind of thing. All of the Vegans I know will freak out if they even smell animal fat or protein, and they can.

Oh, and the tofu, marinate in BBQ sauce thinned with something like white wine, then about two hours before cooking, press the tofu between two plates to compress it and force off some water. This will intensify the texture and flavor. At that point, I prefer to fry it in a very hot skillet just to texturize the surface. Then chop into largish chunks and stir-fry with veggies.

I won't lie, I have eaten these and they are edible, but, Vegans love, love, love them.
ribz4.jpg

Linky

Spanish rice and chile rellanos. Health food store can steer you to the vegan cheese and texturized vegetable protein. There are tons of Mexican/Italian/Chinese etc vegan dishes. It's when you attempt American that it gets tricky

Throw in a small bottle of good olive oil, a roasted head of garlic, and a couple loaves of good bread.

What if you did vegan burgers or a meat loaf, both of those are close to American foods that you can add bbq flair to.

There are tons of good vegetarian and even vegan things to make, just think about the side dishes you'd normally make that would be meatless & expand on some of those...

If they like pizza, here's a plain tomato pie I recently made that qualifies as Vegan, nothing here but flour, water, yeast, salt, crushed tomatoes, olive oil & spices. Of course you could put any number of veggies or other meatless toppings on... Here it is in the cast iron pan just before going onto the LBGE:

Veganpizza_zps21017ab8.jpg

Cooling on a grid after about 20 minutes in the egg:

veganpizzafinished_zpsfba48742.jpg

This was served to a very appreciative Vegan, she gobbled up more than half of it herself & requested an encore shortly thereafter :thumb:

The vegan and at least one vegeterain people that I know wont even eat veggies or other vegan foods that have been cooked on a grill that has been used for cooking meat.
Good Luck!

The vegan and at least one vegeterain people that I know wont even eat veggies or other vegan foods that have been cooked on a grill that has been used for cooking meat.
Good Luck!

Or any cooking vessel that was used to cook meat. The only way to be sure your gift doesn't hit the trash is a gift card to their favorite vegan restaurant. Vegan is a whole new extreme.

Vegan is definitely an extreme. I will be doing something in the oven or crock pot to be safe. I like the ribs (fake ones) that were linked. My wife so owes me for this... she is the one that "voluntold" me.

What does a vegan taste like?:wink: Really anything you can cook in a oven you can make on a smoker or a grill. Smoked mac n cheese

What does a vegan taste like?:wink: Really anything you can cook in a oven you can make on a smoker or a grill. Smoked mac n cheese

Did you miss the memo or hit your head as to the reality of vegan? Eggs and milk = NOT

Back