MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-11-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Snakebit Polocks

Well we planned to cook at the Rock 'N Ribfest in Nashua this weekend but it was not to be. On I-95 just before I-91 in Connecticut the U-Bolts securing the right side of the axel on the cooker came off. My brother trailers the cooker and he felt a bump. When looking thru the rear view mirror he did not see the cooker but when he looked thru the side view mirror the cooker was being dragged on an angle. Luckly this happened at 2AM Saturday morning so no other vehicles were involved. It took a number of hours to get a flat bed tow truck to get the cooker to a repair facility. By 9AM the cooker had been taken to a trailer dealer and by 10AM the cooker was finally repaired. At that point we were all pretty shaken and tired from being up all night we decided to just pack it in. At the trailer dealer we discovered that the U-Bolts were simply never tightened. We checked the U-Bolts on the other side and they were also loose. Ben Lang is going to hear my frustration tomorrow as the cooker is only 9 months old. The dealer discovered that the U-Bolts were also the wrong size. When looking for a tow truck we called AAA and they wanted to have nothing to do with us. We were told they do not cover trailers and were hung up on. We would like to thank Liberty Mutual because even though we have no trailer coverage they found us a towing company that would help us. We look forward to cooking this contest nexf year and are very sad we missed it this year.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2006, 08:01 PM   #2
qman
Babbling Farker

Guy, sorry to hear of your mis-fortune. Just glad no one was hurt or no more damage done. Too bad you missed the comp. Hope everything works out for you.

Old 06-11-2006, 08:01 PM   #3
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Damn that blows, Guy! But contests come and go... just glad you're safe and that it didn't cause an accident!!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Guy, sorry to hear about your misfortune, but very glad that no one was hurt and none of your gear serously damaged.

Better luck next time Brother!!

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
Sawdustguy

Thank you Jeff and Qman. It really scared the heck out of us and really put things in perspective.

Stupidity for Dummies

Old 06-11-2006, 08:10 PM   #6
MilitantSquatter

Too bad Guy... we know you and team were really geared up for this one.... Glad no one got hurt... it's a shame the cooker needed repair already after only a few rides... Good Luck in dealing with Lang tomorrow.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2006, 08:14 PM   #7
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

guy.. glad everyones ok.. and the cooker survived too... I think Richie from lostnation had a similar experience with his Lang.. If I remember correctly, i think last year at Bel aire.. the trailler broke on the way to the contest and they hauled there trialer pit into the contest on a rented Uhaul.

Richie.. u out there??

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2006, 08:20 PM   #8
bbqjoe
Banned

Sorry to hear about this. Glad all is okay.
just another reason to pre-inspect ANY trailer before hauling it.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2006, 08:23 PM   #9
Sawdustguy

Vinny,

We are dissapointed but happy nobody got hurt. We are seriously going to have a look at Spicewine We will keep the Lang also because it is pre-disastered and unlikely to happen again.

Stupidity for Dummies

Old 06-11-2006, 08:25 PM   #10
Doorbusters
Full Fledged Farker

Damn, Sawdustguy! It seems as though you are taking this pretty well. I know had that been I, Mr. Lang and I would have been talking at 2 a.m.. Good luck at the next one and glad everyone is safe. That is the important part........or is it???????

Old 06-11-2006, 08:51 PM   #11
Sawdustguy

Thanks all. I just thank God we are ok so we get to cook another day.

Stupidity for Dummies

Old 06-11-2006, 08:55 PM   #12
Sawdustguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
guy.. glad everyones ok.. and the cooker survived too... I think Richie from lostnation had a similar experience with his Lang.. If I remember correctly, i think last year at Bel aire.. the trailler broke on the way to the contest and they hauled there trialer pit into the contest on a rented Uhaul.

Richie.. u out there??
Phil,

There was some damage but nothing a few pieces of sheet steel and a welder couldn't fix.

Stupidity for Dummies

Old 06-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #13
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Guy--
No one hurt--priceless.

You will live to combat another day!

TIM

Old 06-11-2006, 09:22 PM   #14
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Had the same thing happen with a brand new F-150. Scary as hell, and glad no one was hurt! Keep us up to date as far as how Ben handles the situation. I have heard that if you have a problem, Ben will have you take it to a shop, and he will take care of the expenses. Good luck and God bless!

Also, this is a good reminder for all of us to check our trailers. Bearings, breakes, wheels, lights are all things that are impacted by long sitting times. Take care!
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2006, 10:18 PM   #15
Sawdustguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmayeux
Had the same thing happen with a brand new F-150. Scary as hell, and glad no one was hurt! Keep us up to date as far as how Ben handles the situation. I have heard that if you have a problem, Ben will have you take it to a shop, and he will take care of the expenses. Good luck and God bless!

Also, this is a good reminder for all of us to check our trailers. Bearings, breakes, wheels, lights are all things that are impacted by long sitting times. Take care!
You are absolutely right, Noah! A lesson we learned the hard way but then again we are Polocks.

Stupidity for Dummies