• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Turkey Brine

cwiese

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What does everyone one brine there turkeys in not container but brine recipes please and containers if you wish THANKS

2 quarts apple cider
2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup kosher salt
3 quarts water
3 oranges, quartered
4 ounces fresh ginger, sliced thin
15 whole cloves
6 bay leaves
6 large garlic cloves, crushed

Combine apple juice, brown sugar, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve. Boil for one minute, remove from heat, let mixture come to room temperature, then refrigerate to 40*F.

In a large non-reactive container, combine the apple juice mixture with the remaining ingredients and stir. Place rinsed, drained whole turkey into the brine. Use a heavy weight to keep the bird submerged, if necessary. I usually brine for about 36 hours, rinse and let sit back in the fridge uncovered for a few hours to dry out the skin.. This recipe will do a 12-14 lb bird. Double it for a 20lber and the bird and brine will perfectly fill a 5 gal bucket. I've tried a bunch of brines, but this is my favorite. Very subtle flavor, but so farking good.

Not exactly what you are asking, but I did a dry brine with kosher salt last year and it really turned out great.

5 Gallon Bucket

I purchased a Food Grade 5 gallon bucket at Lowes last year just for brining my turkeys. I got it in the section with the trash cans and buckets I believe by the paint. It has a sticker on the side that says Food Safe on it... Maybe $5 or so.
Hope this helps.

1 lemon
1 quart very strong tea
1 quart beer (an IPA is ideal)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt

Scale up if needed depending on the size of the turkey.

Really simple, 1cup kosher salt,1 cup sugar, a little garlic POWDER. Throw it in a big pot or bucket fill up to covered and keep it submerged all night. I like to heat up the brine on the stove till it all dissolves, but be sure to let it cool before using. been using this for years,perfect everytime.

3/4 cup kosher salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup of fresh rosemary and thyme

That's per gallon of water.

Both Smokin Oakies and Pattio Daddio's recipies are excellent I used them both one T Day and the birds were awesome Dont forget to ice the breast before cooking

I use 1 gallon of water, 1 cup of Morton's Kosher Salt and 1 cup of sugar. Heat the salt and water in a little water till completely melted. Cool it down in the fridge. Add the remainer of the gallon of water into "The Briner". So handy!!

5 Gallon bucket

I purchased a Food Grade 5 gallon bucket at Lowes last year just for brining my turkeys. I got it in the section with the trash cans and buckets I believe by the paint. It has a sticker on the side that says Food Safe on it... Maybe $5 or so.
Hope this helps.

The local deli here has 5 gallon buckets they set out the back door and give away. Most had been full of dill pickles. I would call those food grade and they are free. Ck the local restaurants for really cheap 5 gallon buckets. I am not opposed to spending 5 dollars for a bucket but free is free and I also use these for my bucket garden.

Both Smokin Oakies and Pattio Daddio's recipies are excellent I used them both one T Day and the birds were awesome Dont forget to ice the breast before cooking

Or cover the breast with white wine and butter soaked cheese cloth and pull at the half to crisp.

Back