MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
BenRias
Got Wood.

Default BBQ Injuries...what's yours?

I shared this on another thread, but I thought it might make a good discussion.

Here's my injury:

The short version is last Memorial Day, Costco had just switched over to St louis cut ribs. No problem, I thought. So I bought them and cooked them. I thought the cut looked a little sloppy along the bone/cartilage line, but whatever...ribs are ribs, right?

On my second bite on my first rib of the holiday, a spear shaped shard of bone shattered my tooth!!!! I'm not talking a tiny bone like you'd find in sausage or a bigger piece like a burger. This was a SPEAR SHAPED SHARD! It stood north and south as I began chewing and CRASH!!! The shard shot upward into my tooth and split it into three piece down to the root!

Bones are always a part of the eating experience...and maybe it's unfair to blame the additional sawing off of the cartilage end of the SLCs...but who wouldn't have an aversion to such a painful accident?!

Because of the holiday, it took two days to see any dentist on an emergency visit to temporarily patch me up (nearby dental school...a resident did the job, and not a good one.) Then another 6 weeks before I could get into my dentist. I still have much sensitivity on that tooth...like even if a tiny piece of peppercorn gets chewed just right...ouch!!!

So, again, maybe my "beef" with SLCs is unjustified, but as anyone who's had a bad experience with tequila can tell you...one bad experience can permanently ruin a good thing. (in fairness, I got back on the tequila horse pretty quickly...ribs? I haven't touched them in over a year.)
BenRias is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
aawa
Babbling Farker

I once spilled a couple drops of beer when I bent over to read the thermometer. Needless to say, it was after I already had a bunch of beers before hand. I am not going to lie, I cried someone. :(

Old 06-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

I often do the Charcoal hop.
barefoot and lighting charcoal does not mix after a few beers

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
Pyrotech
Full Fledged Farker

The other day I caught a firefly (the orange sparks from the burning charcoal dust) in the coner of my eye lid. That one left a mark...
Pyrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Cringe...

Old 06-11-2013, 02:00 AM   #6
mbshop
Babbling Farker

when i almost cooked my knee cuz i didn't realize that kingsford comp burned a lot hotter.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:31 AM   #7
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Eww. Nothin on the cue, but once when I was on The Brethren site, I opened a beer with the back of a knife. And about and inch of the back of my thumb. Sweet.

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 03:10 AM   #8
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

A couple of times I stepped on burning pieces of charcoal, that I accidentally dropped on the ground without knowing it. Burned right through the bottom of my shoe. I kept saying to myself "why do I keep smelling burning rubber?" Ruined a couple of pairs of shoes that way. Now I just wear cheap shoes.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #9
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

Being the loving dog owner that I am, I gave my Duncan a porcine scapula which he promptly left on the garage floor at the bottom of the step.

I found it with my left foot.

The cracking sound made me think I broke it as I fell to the garage floor. I managed to crawl back in the house on my hands and knees.

First time I ever had an injury take me to the ground like that.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #10
Notorious P.I.G.
Got Wood.

I've had a cheese sausage burst and send molten cheese over one side of my face just missing my eye. I've burnt myself on numerous occasions with alcohol involved when lighting charcoal.
Notorious P.I.G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #11
deguerre

Does getting your head set on fire by a flare up count?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #12
VeRTiGo91
On the road to being a farker

Burnt my left forearm on Memorial Day on my OTG. Looking at turkey on smoker, and the lid decided to take a pit stop on it. Didn't feel full effects until next morning, when I was half sober! Ye-ouch!

Old 06-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #13
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I've taken off most of the hair on my right arm and part of my left eyebrow in a back flash from my BGE when it was new (and so was I)

Plus, it's not a competition weekend if I'm not bleeding somewhere :rolleyes.

But, my most famous was a few years ago. LMAJ won't let me forget this (along with several others)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=52752

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

I had mine many years ago when I was being taught how to cook and prep ribs. I was peeling spares with a knife that was actually sharp and...well... you know what happened. Slick hands, sharp knife, soft meat on the inside of the thumb.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #15
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

I have burned the hair off of my arms a couple of times because I forgot to properly burp my Primo when cooking pizza. I have stepped on the odd small lit piece of charcoal a time or two.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->