• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Cook on my new Toy (Akorn) Pork Butt (Pr0n)

rsj7855

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I bought the new Akorn at Home Depot...

I cooked an 8# Butt...probed with my (also new) toy Maverick ET732.

Shredded...

I was amazed at it's efficiency...I did a 10 hour burn between 250-275 (I fell asleep for 3 hours at the end lol) and this is how much lump was left.

It seems that it is a very efficient pit as I barely had it cracked at the bottom and top.

looks great, and can you post some more pics of your akorn. Looks like a performer only better.

I love the fact that your machine is indoors in that pic, just because

Love that AKORN. I got a couple of questions. what kind of lump do you use? how do you stack/light your coal?

My Akorn is efficient, but not like that. I use Cowboy and I build a volcano and drop an alcohol soaked cotton ball in the top "crater".

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the efficiency, but always looking for new tips.

I have been using the Central Market brand lump (upscale HEB brand basically) which you won't be able to get unless you are in Texas or Mexico.

I just pour it in...make a teepee in the middle of it, light 1xWeber lighter cube, lightly cover the flame with room to breathe, close down the top all the while cracked on bottom and top to slowly rise the temp where you want it...225-275 typically takes around ~45 mins or so.

I have used my brothers original black Akorn and it is a pain in the rear to get the temp down...I have learned my lesson.

Back