MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
u-joint
Got Wood.

Default My UDS Build Thread

It's official, you guys have corrupted me. I am building a UDS

I am currently on about page 50 of "the UDS" thread, lol. A lot of reading ahead of me. However, I've made my first (small) step of building a UDS. Today, I purchased a 55 gallon drum.

It's really nice and clean, and doesn't have a liner in it. The guy who sold it to me said it previously contained something "like glue", but was separated from the bare metal by a plastic bag/insert. Still going to burn it out.

Nothing much else to show, or say. I'll update this thread throughout my build process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-12-17 18.19.22.jpg (42.4 KB, 249 views)
u-joint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

Good luck!

Old 12-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great start.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Nice start

Old 12-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

u-joint, good luck with your build. Since you are only on page 50 on the MOTHER of the UDS thread, do yourself a big favor. Take lots of notes as you read on, or at least certain highlight points for what ever,page #, post# etc. for future reference.

When i started,there were only 320 or so pages and i ended up re-reading it all over again. A lot of guys don't like to read that many pages,they just like to fire away with asking questions because they want the answers right now.

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
[COLOR=Blue]Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
[/COLOR]
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #6
Wyley
On the road to being a farker

If you want to save yourself a lot of reading just go here.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943

It is the definitive KISS instructional for the UDS. Build your first one like this, learn to cook on it and then experiment at will on future builds. You won't be disappointed if you follow it.

Don't worry if you don't have a welder or welding experience, I simply threaded my pipe nipples in the holes and locked them down with electrical conduit nuts. Another thought is to stay away from galvanized hardware. If that is all you can find you can either burn the coating off with a weed burner or soak in toilet bowl cleaner. That will take the galvanized coating off also.
Wyley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Good luck and keep us updated on the build

Old 12-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Looking forward to your pics!!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
bo_b_q

I second the taking notes suggestion. I read through about 300 pages or so. It started out innocent enough, but then the ideas start piling up and when you go to actually start building you can't keep any of it straight. I spent as much time going back through and digging for information as I did reading. Good luck on your build...just finished mine a few weeks ago, only two cooks in but I love it!
bo_b_q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
u-joint
Got Wood.

Thanks all for the tips and encouragement.

I made a trip to Lowe's this morning and picked up most of what I have remaining for my UDS build. Since today marks my first day off work for the holidays, I am going to be starting the build today. Expect updates and photos as I'm working through it.

I haven't seen anyone mention this, so I figured I'd throw it out there. Those seals on the 55-gallon drum lids are a pain to scrape off. I just took some MEK and within minutes the seal literally came off in one piece, leaving nothing but bare metal behind.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
Mauricio
Got Wood.

That drum cap is really nice. Mine didn't come with a cap so I had to use a Weber lid which doesn't fit well.
The fire box It’s probably the single most important design element of the unit. The basket should be big enough to hold 10 lbs. of charcoal and some wood chunks, plenty of fuel for very long cooks. When I burned it with 10 pounds of hardwood charcoal it lasted 15 hours.
it cost me $100
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FIREBOX.jpg (53.0 KB, 112 views)
Mauricio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #12
otterpop
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyley View Post
If you want to save yourself a lot of reading just go here.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943.
I followed Norcoredneck's plan for my UDS, and it was simple to build, and cooks great!
otterpop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
enasnidx
Full Fledged Farker

Best of luck! My basket is really simple but works awesome and was really cheap to build. No welding. I use a "top down" Minion Method for burning coal in mine: I put about 15 hot coals into maybe 4 little clusters spaced evenly on top of my unlit coals with wood chunks in it. The fire burns down and around my basket for hours. I have no problem with long cooks and I always have left over coals. My basket:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=112518

Old 12-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #14
u-joint
Got Wood.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356208555.127582.jpg

Working on my basket. This is my first attempt at welding, a friend let me borrow his MIG welder.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
sweetheatbbq

Looking good!