Got my smoke on, brisket in progress (with pron)

jlondon

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Got my smoke on. Put a 13.5 pound brisket on early this morning, along with a 3 pound hunk of deckle. Dry rubbed with my mix of equal amounts of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, with just a little bit of cayenne. Smoking with Royal Oak hardwood lump charcoal and oak, hickory and pear for flavor (I usually use apple, but I didn’t realize that I’m all out of apple wood). I've got my temp fixed at around 220-225. I also put two homemade sausages on about 40 minutes ago just to tide me over for a bit. Here is some pron:

Attachments

• rig-closed-cook-in-progress.jpg
    rig-closed-cook-in-progress.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 177
  • home-made sausage-chipotle.jpg
    home-made sausage-chipotle.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 179
  • deckle-close-up-cook-in-progress.jpg
    deckle-close-up-cook-in-progress.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 176
  • brisket-close-up-cook-in-progress.jpg
    brisket-close-up-cook-in-progress.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 178
  • cooking-temp.jpg
    cooking-temp.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 177
  • my rig - cook in progress.jpg
    my rig - cook in progress.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 179
Looking good so far! Don't forget the sliced pics. :clap2:

Thanks. More pics when there's more to show. Meanwhile, here's my sausages ready to eat (hotdog style).

Attachments

• chipotle-on-bun.jpg
    chipotle-on-bun.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 162
I can smell it from here! I hope to try homemade sausage sometime soon myself... I gotta find a local source for casings :)

Brisket done. Sorry the pics aren't so great, I'll try to take some better pics later. I also made my own BBQ sauce: 14 oz ketchup, 1 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup worcestershire sauce, 1 ounce yellow mustard, 1 ounce fresh lemon juice, 3 tablespoons paprika, healthy 1/4 cup ancho chile powder, healthy teaspoon hot pepper flakes, 1 healthy teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, a tiny little bit of mollases (roughly a teaspoon), healthy 1/3 cup of brisket drippings and 3 cups of water; brought to boil; then reduced over strong simmer until thick and rich. Here are some food pics:

Attachments

• brisket-done.jpg
    brisket-done.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 120
  • crust-close-up.jpg
    crust-close-up.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 120
  • smoke-ring.jpg
    smoke-ring.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 119
  • brisket-smoke-ring.jpg
    brisket-smoke-ring.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 120
Sorry, kinda hard to see much outa the fuzzy pics. How'd it taste?

Very tasty and super juicy -- but not as strong a smoke flavor as I generally like and usually get out of my rig. This is my first smoke of the season (been four months since my last brisket), so I must have done something wrong. Everyone seemed happy and I had zero leftovers, so I guess all's well that ends well. I'll have to smoke another one for Sunday. ;-) Just as well, as it'll give me another chance increase the smoke quotient.

jlondon you are probably your own worst critic as all of us are, that looked great you did nothing wrong especially with no leftovers.... just say I can do better to satisfy yourself. Smoke on Brother!!:thumb:

Back