First Competition

U

Uncle Rockstar

Hello Everyone! I am new to this site and new to the whole idea of low and slow cooking. I am entering an amateur rib contest next week at the Smoke on the Water in Las Vegas. I have been watching a lot of youtube and experimenting all week but would really love some advice on the best way to approach this.

Any advice you can offer on type of wood, rubs, sauces, 3-2-1 method etc would be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would highly recommend using this method at about 275*. It's
always worked very well for me at comps. For smoke I recommend
a 2/3 to 1/3 combination of cherry and hickory, respectively. For
sauce, you really can't go wrong with Head Country original with a
little honey and a few splashes of Tiger Sauce added.

I hope this helps,
John

Last edited:
Watch that '2' in the 3-2-1. Lots of info here. Just crawl around a bit.

Thanks Guys! I really appreciate the tips!!! Everyone else feel free to chime in! I must say I really enjoy this whole BBQ experiment thing but for some reason my Guinness seems to be disappearing from the fridge faster than usual!! :-o

Rule #1 HAVE FUN, Rule #2 RELAX and do what you know. My first comp just went in not wanting to finish last. But remember rule #1 have fun. Rule #3 follow John advice the PaddioDaddio knows his stuff.

Rule #1 HAVE FUN, Rule #2 RELAX and do what you know. My first comp just went in not wanting to finish last. But remember rule #1 have fun. Rule #3 follow John advice the PaddioDaddio knows his stuff.

Thanks. I don't know about knowing my stuff, but along the way
I've certainly learned a lot about what not to do. :grin:

There's a "Competition BBQ 101" series linked in the right
sidebar of my blog, and I think I've posted it here as well. You
might find them helpful.

John

Back