• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Hey guys. I have a question.

So I picked up a drum this afternoon. This whole time I was planning on picking up an open-head drum. When I got there, I realized that the drums there were closed-head. When I read through this thread, I never really planned on a closed head drum so I never sought out advice on removing it.

You should find another source for drums in your area.

Neighbor. :biggrin:

You should find another source for drums in your area.

Neighbor. :biggrin:

LOL

Its kinda funny. I was going to send you a PM and ask you were you got your drums at, but then I stumbled upon the one I picked up. So since I could not get an open-head drum, where do you get yours from. I see you have built a few.

I was also going to send you a pm because I was planning on ordering a thermometer from your website. Since we are so close, I was wondering if it would be possible for me to just pick it up instead of having you ship it.

Let me know neighbor. :icon_cool

Door

I think you should have a door for those wiered and unscheduled events.
It should be the size of the largeste log you want to use.

Steve out:razz:

I think you should have a door for those wiered and unscheduled events.
It should be the size of the largeste log you want to use.

Steve out:razz:

Most use charcoal. Door has to be sealed to be as efficient as a standard UDS.

Ok, I have 2 UDS and I went real cheap and drilled 4 - 1" holes about 3" up from the bottom. I have an OK time with keeping the temp where I want it, but I was wondering if I can improve it by installing a valve? Also if the you think I should go with a valve, how hard would it be to do considering my current hole setup?

Ok, I have 2 UDS and I went real cheap and drilled 4 - 1" holes about 3" up from the bottom. I have an OK time with keeping the temp where I want it, but I was wondering if I can improve it by installing a valve? Also if the you think I should go with a valve, how hard would it be to do considering my current hole setup?
Matter of preference. Valve works for me. If they are clean 1" holes 3/4" nipples screw in and can be welded or locked in with conduit nuts. Someone didn't read whole thead. :cool:

Matter of preference. Valve works for me. If they are clean 1" holes 3/4" nipples screw in and can be welded or locked in with conduit nuts. Someone didn't read whole thead. :cool:

I realize I can easily put in a valve.... I should have been more specific. I would rather not put in 4 valves since I would never use that many. What do I do with the other holes is my question?

I realize I can easily put in a valve.... I should have been more specific. I would rather not put in 4 valves since I would never use that many. What do I do with the other holes is my question?
Close pipe nipples with caps. Valve partial and one cap off gets 250 ish for me. 2 caps off, partial valve gets 375 ish. Fine tune with valve. Make sense?

Work In Progress

I started on my UDS today, I cut 4 holes on the bottom and I have 4 - 10" 3/4 nipples ready to be welded in tomorrow, I also bought the expaned metal and will be making the basket as well.
I live too close to people so I went ahead and bought a weed burner and spent the better part of the evening stinking up the neighborhood. :twisted:
I bought a webber 22" grill and stainless steel bolts to hold it up.
so far so good. I'm hoping to cook on it this monday.
I know if there ain't a picture it didn't happen... here you go!

I will post more pics as I go along

Attachments

• UDS upside down.jpg
    UDS upside down.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,271
I ended up with an extra hole, think it was about an inch and an eighth.
Greenlee screwup Mod.
Ended up covering it up with a speaker magnet. Works great.

Close pipe nipples with caps. Valve partial and one cap off gets 250 ish for me. 2 caps off, partial valve gets 375 ish. Fine tune with valve. Make sense?

Nice weedburner. Will save some knuckle hair. Harbor Freights are too short.
attachment.php

Back