• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ribs

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
O.K I see brisket and chicken questions, now I have a rib question. For competition ribs do you trim all the fat and meat running across the length of the rack off to where there is just the meat between the bones? Or do you just trim it up where it will cook even and leave the bulk on?

good question and glad you started the rib thread!

Also, what about color? Is the dark dark almost burnt look bad? Its not really burnt just a deep color from the wood and addition of sauce.

Is this too dark?

Last edited:
I trim very little. after removing the "sternum" the membrane, and the "flap" meat I am pretty much done, cant tell you if its the correct way to go just what I do.

Looks pretty tasty to me Gnome! Not too dark for me.

What would you all give that box? From what I learned Saturday, I'd give it a 7. Not sure if the intent was to be judged however.

Nice color. I would also keep the ribs together so they do not dry out....

Chipper if you were at the KCBS Judging Class in Salisbury on Saturday and are giving this a 7 based on what you saw Saturday I hope you gave Saturdays a 3 or 4 ( or less ) in class. I know cause I plated it :oops: for the class on Saturday. It was more of a plop with the garnish and a drop of the ribs, where they landed is what you judged. We plated about 120 turn in boxes in 30-45 minutes with no time for looks.

I took the judging class on saturday, I felt bad with the scores I had to give on those boxes. Being a competitor I knew they were thrown together without the love. My scores for presentation were 5 or less beside one chicken entry got a 7. Sorry back to topic now. Oh yea - thanks a lot for cooking saturday. Without you none of that could have happened.

I mostly gave 5's on Saturday. A few 4's and a few 1's based on the "pooling" issue.
I was basing it on the "skimpy" appearance. In hindsight, I'd probably go with an 8 if I were to see it in person. The ribs look beautiful.

I took the judging class on saturday, I felt bad with the scores I had to give on those boxes. Being a competitor I knew they were thrown together without the love. My scores for presentation were 5 or less beside one chicken entry got a 7. Sorry back to topic now. Oh yea - thanks a lot for cooking saturday. Without you none of that could have happened.

Just wondering, but do you think the judging class is going to help you in comps?

I did not cook for the class, the bbq was provided by Jerry Elliott's BBQ. I did learn something good though. I tasted everything fresh out of the Cambro's and it was all great, however by the time it was plated and served to you all and I went in for a second taste there was a big difference in the taste. In other words what we as competitors send in to the judges may not be the great taste we put in the box. Try it, plate up a turn in box and let it set closed up for 20 minutes and open it and try it. You may find it does not resemble what it was looks and tatse wise when you closed the lid.

Just wondering, but do you think the judging class is going to help you in comps?

Not sure if I will do better, I did get some ideas. Jerry did a great job. I am probably going to take some of the verbal ideas on the chicken but I will stick with my pork and brisket. Over all it was good.

Last edited:
I took it primarily to learn what to do as to avoid being disqualified or finishing DAL. I picked up a few things that will definitely help for when I jump in next spring. Will it keep me from DAL, maybe. But I should be able to avoid the big DQ. I didn't really get to talk with anyone other than my table mates. Some were there just to learn about judging but there were a few in my position as well.
I know a few others took the class, any comments?

Clipper,

This is for you..... and anyone else interested.....
There is going to be a BBQ 101 Competition cooking class in Dover, De on April 4.

Philly Pigs, Fat Angel and Pig Pen BBQ. Very reasonably priced.

Contact KCBSjersey@aol.com for more information and applications

The only fat on the ribs i trim off is the false cap on the largest end bone. i only pick out spares that i think would be decent for competition, so i don't have to worry about trimming other sections of fat.

After judging for three years and finally cooking a contest this fall I beleive if your a compettion BBQ team and don't take the judging class,
your already a few steps behind and will spend alot more time and money to catch up with those that do.
ModelMaker

We are taking the judging class in April @ Dover for sure.

The appearance scores on those ribs were 897976 @ Dover, our 2nd comp. They finished 17th. We were elated!!

Back