KCBS scoring needed

DMDon

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone of a link to an excel spreadsheet used for KCBS scoring? Where I can enter the team names and scores and have it tabulate the totals and rankings. We did a small contest on Labor Day and got the results in the mail today. Its all jacked up. One of our Brethern (BBQ Council)set a new scoring record in pork loin with a score of 40.4532 in fact he got two of them. A 999 should equal 36, I got two of tehm in ribs and they were scored 35.5027. I don't want to embarass the group running the contest, but would like to provide them with an acurate scoring system.

My math may be a little off here but I thought three 9's equalled 27! Must be the new math and the inflation factor factored in to the formula:-D

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure you understand how KCBS scoring works?

The scores are weighted - each attribute is multiplied by a different number to reach the total perfect score. The factors are explained in the KCBS rules. You can get a copy here: http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/2008RulesAndRegulations.pdf

Thanks for posting that. I've been scratching my head lately trying to figure out how the scores can go out to 4 decimal points. Now I understand.

Taste 2.2858
Tenderness 1.1428
Appearance .5714

Total 3.0000

We lost a grand championship in Madison last month by .0006 of a point and last weekend missed fifth in pork by .0002. It just shows you how competitive these contests have become and how every little detail counts.

Sorry if I came of as a smart a$$ in my previous post. Just geeky accounting humour that I couldn't resist!:-D

Maybe you should let your brother do all the math, he seems pretty good at it...:)

Are you sure you understand how KCBS scoring works?

The scores are weighted - each attribute is multiplied by a different number to reach the total perfect score. The factors are explained in the KCBS rules. You can get a copy here: http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/2008RulesAndRegulations.pdf

Yes, I do. Are you sure you read my post correctly. I cooked the contest and the organizers had no idea how the scoring worked. I simply want to provide them with a spread sheet to help them out. BBQ Council understood the request and provided what I am looking for, not an explaination of the rules. So next time I need a copy of the KCBS rules, I'll get in contact with you.

Maybe this will help you Don.

View attachment 19006

Ray,

Thanks for your help with this. That must have been some awesome loin to score in the 40's. I called the contest organizer last night, she had no idea that the scores were all wrong. She kept saying that she had the formulas on a spreadsheet so they must be right. Finally I got her to agree that marks of 999 will score a 36 and that is the max. So when I pointed out your 2 40's she finally realized something was wrong. Did you get your results in the mail?

Regardless of how someone understands the score, a 36 is as good as you can get. How did Ray get a 40??? Maybe *I* misunderstood the post...

Ray,

Thanks for your help with this. That must have been some awesome loin to score in the 40's. I called the contest organizer last night, she had no idea that the scores were all wrong. She kept saying that she had the formulas on a spreadsheet so they must be right. Finally I got her to agree that marks of 999 will score a 36 and that is the max. So when I pointed out your 2 40's she finally realized something was wrong. Did you get your results in the mail?

I thought is was awsome! But maybe not that good.

I calculated my scores. They're pretty crappy if you ask me, but I'm not giving my winnings back.:-D

Chicken - 165.1428
Ribs - 155.9998 :icon_sick
Loin - 161.7142
Overall - 482.8568

Regardless of how someone understands the score, a 36 is as good as you can get. How did Ray get a 40??? Maybe *I* misunderstood the post...

Ok obviously, my post is not as clear as I thought it was.

My daughter and I cooked I one day first time contest.

The contest organizers built there own spreadsheet for scoring.

They awarded the first three places in each category at the contest.

They mailed the results out to the teams.

On ribs I got marks of 999(twice) and they scored it as 35.5something.

In the pork loin category another team(Ray) had two scores in the 40.something.

That is the point I am trying to make, its not possible. They have flaws in the scoring spreadsheet they used.

I just want to help them, by getting them a correct version so they can redo the results correctly. I don't care what they do about the awards they handed out. I would just like to see how results turn out with correct scoring.

I hope this helps explain.

Just curious, but why do you think you should share KCBS scoring with a non sanctioned contest?

In an attempt to help them out. They're goal is to be KCBS sactioned by next year. they had 14 teams this year, so only will need one more for a first year contest. But if they don't make things right this year on the scoring, they will lose us and more than likely others who feel the same way. That will make it more difficult for them to get their 15. I agree that the that the KCBS scoring is probably protected information and them using it violates some guideline, but its not rocket science and some one some where has created their own spreadsheet to recreate this scoring method. Since the contest organizers weren't able to get it right. I would like to help shortern their learning curve with this info.

In an attempt to help them out. They're goal is to be KCBS sactioned by next year. they had 14 teams this year, so only will need one more for a first year contest. But if they don't make things right this year on the scoring, they will lose us and more than likely others who feel the same way. That will make it more difficult for them to get their 15. I agree that the that the KCBS scoring is probably protected information and them using it violates some guideline, but its not rocket science and some one some where has created their own spreadsheet to recreate this scoring method. Since the contest organizers weren't able to get it right. I would like to help shortern their learning curve with this info.

ps, If it was a contest where they were making a profit from entry fees after expenses and prize money, I would probably take a different stance. But based on the entry fee and the prize $ given out they lost $ big time. It was put on by the town as a part of their celbration days.

But based on the entry fee and the prize $ given out they lost $ big time. It was put on by the town as a part of their celbration days.

Lost $800!. Thats what Chad told me Tuesday.

I agree with Don. We need to help these people out to give them a better shot of being sacationed next year or the year after. They did a good job with what little they knew. They just need a push in the right direction.

The KCBS weighting factors are spelled in their rules and regulations that anyone can download from their site. Any contest in the world could find those and use them if they choose to. Providing a spreadsheet that is known to work and not have flaws in the formulas is a nice gesture and one that doesn't give away any trade secrets the KCBS may have.

It's a shame that the spreadsheet they did use wasn't built properly and therefore created bad scores. They could use any factor they wanted to as long as their spreadsheet didn't have errors in the formulas. Oh well. Hopefully this straightens everything out and next year the same 14 teams return along with a few more to make it a full blown KCBS contest.

Just curious, but why do you think you should share KCBS scoring with a non sanctioned contest?

That is exactly where I was going to go. This is a very good reason why sanctioning by KCBS is a good thing. You go to a non-sanctioned contest... you get what you get.

The only non-sanctioned contests I go to, don't use KCBS scoring or rules. Wouldn't that be like stealing if they did? As a card carrying, dues paying member of KCBS, does it make sense to support a non-sanctioned contest stealing what equates to intellectual property? I think KCBS needs to, tactfully, address this issue that continues to come up.

Back