New smoker! (to me)

my suggestion.

Light your coals in the chimney get them going good

pour them into a shovel, or even a garden trowel, as long as it fits in the opening, then dump them in and then lay a few splits on them

Weed burner would work too, I dont have one so I am no expert on that but I read all the time guys use them

your comfort zone problem will pass. but you gotta get the thing going first!!!

Sounds like a plan to me! I think I will experiment with a few different lighting methods over the next few days/weeks. Thanks for all your input here!

I would light a good amount of charcoal with my weed burner first, once you have a bed of coals just throw some splits on top. You'll get how it runs after 1 or 2 times of using it and just make adjustments after that.

- Definitely get a fire grate. This will allow airflow around the fire and this is your friend. Ask here and someone can give you details as to how high the grate should be off the bottom.
- You are going to need wood, and lots of it. If it is running right, probably a split every 45 mins or so.
- You are going to need to babysit it for long cooks. (see above)
- I agree, I'd use the brush burner to light some KBB and then throw the splits on top.
- Try to warm up your the next couple of pieces that you plan to throw on the fire by placing them above the firebox. Not sure how wide that gap is.
- It looks like your heat / smoke enter the cook chamber from the bottom left and your exhaust is dead center. I would think this would mean that stuff cooked on the far right would not receive as much heat or smoke. I could be wrong on that, someone else can help out.

I'd leave that intake wide open to see how hot you can get it too! Then start backing it off a quarter at a time to see where she likes to run! Each pit is different, great pit!!!!

It looks like your heat / smoke enter the cook chamber from the bottom left and your exhaust is dead center.
Is there also a smoke inlet at the right side which is hard to see?
You have a beast there!

Is there also a smoke inlet at the right side which is hard to see?
You have a beast there!

My mistake. It does look like there is a pipe at both ends and then the single exhaust.

- Definitely get a fire grate. This will allow airflow around the fire and this is your friend. Ask here and someone can give you details as to how high the grate should be off the bottom.
- You are going to need wood, and lots of it. If it is running right, probably a split every 45 mins or so.
- You are going to need to babysit it for long cooks. (see above)
- I agree, I'd use the brush burner to light some KBB and then throw the splits on top.
- Try to warm up your the next couple of pieces that you plan to throw on the fire by placing them above the firebox. Not sure how wide that gap is.
- It looks like your heat / smoke enter the cook chamber from the bottom left and your exhaust is dead center. I would think this would mean that stuff cooked on the far right would not receive as much heat or smoke. I could be wrong on that, someone else can help out.

I figure if I put the fire grate the same height as the top of that rectangular vent that should be good for airflow. Due to the angle of the picture: The gap above the fire box is more than sufficient to let splits rest up there. There are actually 2 ports, both left and right, to allow heat/smoke to enter the cook chamber with the exhaust centered as you said. So I should be able to get even heat/smoke up in the cook chamber. There are baffles above each entry vent that are permanent, and a larger removable center baffle.

THoey1963, Here are some other pics, the second is showing the inside of the cook chamber with the 2 permanently attached baffles on the left and right and the removable middle one standing up against the back side.

Only one worked of the inside, and its upside down.

View attachment 94389

smoker4.jpg

Last edited:
I figure if I put the fire grate the same height as the top of that rectangular vent that should be good for airflow. Due to the angle of the picture: The gap above the fire box is more than sufficient to let splits rest up there. There are actually 2 ports, both left and right, to allow heat/smoke to enter the cook chamber with the exhaust centered as you said. So I should be able to get even heat/smoke up in the cook chamber. There are baffles above each entry vent that are permanent, and a larger removable center baffle.

Sounds pretty good to me. I am not a stick burner myself (yet), but I have read a lot of threads here, you know, just in case yet becomes now...

:mrgreen:

Cool cooker! there will definitely be a learning curve, keep us posted as you start to get it figured out! :thumb:

It's a "big sky" design which noted if you google-fu had heat problems with 1 exhaust and added another to replicate the "big baby"

Google-fu is your friend.

Looks like a cool piece of equipment and it appears you've got some sound advice here. Keep us posted and smoke on!:thumb:

Hey Sic,

Take a minute and check out this guys video..... his smoker is practically the same style as yours. As everyone else is saying get yourself a nice fire grate. If you have a friend who can weld then build one out of angle and expanded metal. Once you get that down, check out how this guy gets started, he doesn't actually show that part but he explains it briefly. I think once you get a nice bed of hardwood coals going you can just feed the fire. I think youre gonna like that thing once you figure it out. Remember the BBQ is from 100% wood fired stick burners! Enjoy!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jsl6ay0x8I&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jsl6ay0x8I&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

JTs Smokehouse, great video thanks for that! I am real excited to get this bad boy dialed in and start cookin' on it.

Oh, nice, a double barrel smoker, these were all the rage a few years ago. I wouldn't worry about the vent, if you absolutely need more air, you can manage he air by cracking the door a little (not ideal, but, it works). I agree that you need to get the fire onto a rack or screen, and make sure there are a few inches of clearance below for ash.

Start with a small fire, that is fully burning. You can use minion or stick with one of these, both will burn nicely. Good luck, should work great

Back