MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #16
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

I'm looking forward to seeing which of your three smokers (YS640, Assasin, Lang) you prefer the smoke flavor. I have three smokers on my wish list and they are the Yoder YS640, Assasin 28, and Jambo Backyard. Three very different smokers for sure.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #17
unixadm
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrvp View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing which of your three smokers (YS640, Assasin, Lang) you prefer the smoke flavor. I have three smokers on my wish list and they are the Yoder YS640, Assasin 28, and Jambo Backyard. Three very different smokers for sure.
I used to have a YS640 and of all the pellet cookers I've owned, it produced the best BBQ IMO. However it was an earlier model, single fan that didn't have as good of temperature control as the later units. I did not get the same results with the YS1500 as I did with the YS640 out of the gate. With the YS1500, I had to switch to 100% Hickory pellets. With them, the smoke flavor is MUCH better on the YS1500.

The best BBQ I've ever made has come off of my little 18.5 WSM. I have to tell you that the sweet smell of cherry wood smoking really makes me enjoy BBQ and that's not something you get with a pellet cooker. However a pellet cooker gives you flexibility, such as grilling or changing temperatures fairly easily. Turn it on, you have fire. Turn it off, it goes away quickly. Easy to refuel as well. If I sell my YS1500 some day, I will have a pellet cooker of some sort. They are simply very convenient and consistent.

I was looking at the Jambo Backyard as well. They build an outstanding product and I would have zero hesitation going with one. For me, a stick burner is never going to be my everyday cooker. I have too much going on half the time to tend a fire. However I know I'm missing out on a big part of what makes BBQ special and for that reason I have bought a stick burner as well, though on the small side. Fine by me.

The Assassin will probably become my goto smoker. It's fuel efficient, seemingly easy to run and I can add as much smoke into the meat as I want by simply adding more chunks into the ash pan. I did make a mistake in adding the wood in there at the start, because I have a hell of a nice bed of coals in there now. Any wood I put in there gets vaporized quickly. Next time I'll let it settle into it's temperature and then quickly toss in my smoking wood at the edges of the ash pan.

I will post up frequently between my cooks on the YS1500, Assassin 28 and Lang 36. I'll probably spend more time with the Lang during the next couple of months because it's going to be completely new to me.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #18
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

That's a nice looking rig! You are gonna love it!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2014, 09:29 PM   #19
Firefighter
Full Fledged Farker

You're gonna love it. I got one the first week in November it's the easiest smoker I have ever cooked on. Used it New Year's Day it was 15 below zero and it ran like a champ. They are awesome smokers made and sold by awesome people!

Old 01-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #20
bbqwilly
Babbling Farker

Very nice. Enjoy
bbqwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #21
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

That Sir is one Mighty Fine Rig! Congratulations!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #22
BBQDaddio
is one Smokin' Farker

Congrats on the new precision weapon.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #23
unixadm
Take a breath!

Thanks guys. So far, so good. Tasty bacon and good performance.

A little corn which I wrapped in foil with butter and some rub....

And my messy and not picture friendly BLCM's. They were good, but I was more interested in eating than taking pictures. :)

I shut her down for tonight. Tomorrow I go to U-Haul to rent a trailer and pick up the Lang 36 about 100 miles away. Fun stuff.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:20 AM   #24
unixadm
Take a breath!

I had choked it off last night and this shows the ramp down. The ball valve and smoke stack are closed. I will check later to see if there is anything left in terms of lump.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #25
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Nice cooker! I want one!

Old 01-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #26
Shoes
On the road to being a farker

Show off....things nice and I'm jealous.
Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #27
unixadm
Take a breath!

Working on the first real cook on the Assassin 28, a lone 7lb bone in butt. Trimmed of excess fat, rinsed, injected with ACV + Apple Juice + SM Sweet Seduction Rub. I then rubbed it liberally with SM Sweet Seduction and left it in a half steam pan which I will use for duration of the cook. Will foil at 165 which won't be too much longer as the butt is at 146 degrees right now.

Rubbed and injected:

Onto the Smoker (Apple/Pecan/Oak mix):

Sweet TBS:

~2.5 hours into the cook:

The Geeky Stuff:

Old 01-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #28
unixadm
Take a breath!

Done. Total time of six hours at 250 degrees. Nice smoke ring and good flavor. I did not use a lot of smoking wood - I need to experiment with this aspect of the cooker. It has a nice clean smoke flavor that is not over powering.

Started at ~9:15 AM and pulled at ~3:15 PM at a temp of 201 degrees:

Sauced with some Blues Hog red:

The Assassin 28 and Stoker performed flawlessly. It doesn't get any easier than this.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #29
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Nice pron and very nice looking new toy you have there!

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown![/URL][/U]
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #30
ColoradoSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Congrats - that thing is a piece of art!

Tags
Assassin Smoker Stoker Wifi