Pipe Burner Help Needed

fattdaddy

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello all, I have made this pipe burner for a griddle. It is made out of 1/2" pipe and the venturi was made out of a turkey fryer burner. It is just not burning quite right. It acts as if it is puffing or sucking the flames in and out and for some reason I can not get the whole burner to light, I am using the standard regulator that comes with turkey fryers. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Fatt Daddy

Attachments

• Pipe Burner (1).jpg
    Pipe Burner (1).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Pipe Burner (2).jpg
    Pipe Burner (2).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 118
Yellowhair42

What size pipe and hole size do you suggest? Also what do you think the spacing should be between the holes.

Thanks

Probably 1 1/2 inch if I had to guess.My gasser has 1 1/4 for about that size.Too bad there wasn't a formula somewhere.Size and spacing look OK.

I agree, too many holes. Not enough gas can come out and my thinking is that it is sucking air in the other ones. I would try half the amount and start from there. Hole size seems fine.

I agree with too many/too big holes. The velocity of the gas/air mix in the holes has to be higher than the flame front speed otherwise the flame will burn back into the manifold. Once it does so, the gas in the manifold burns, increasing the velocity of the gas flowing through the orifices and pushing the flame back out. Then the cycle repeats. That's probably what is causing the puffing.

I would look at a gas grill of known BTU output and measure and count the holes. You want to provide about the same on your burner if you are hoping for the same BTU output.

Ok, thanks for all the responses! I think I will rebuild this burner this weekend using larger pipe and only one row of holes. What do ya'll think about increasing the pipe size to 3/4" and reducing the hole size just a tad?

I agree it would be nice if there was a Burner Calculator out there similar to the one for the fireboxes and smokers.

Again Thanks to all.

Back