• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

OMG My First Brisket.... At Last!

Perfect seasoning and perfect color on your first brisket Bill!

I await your report on your first taste.

P.S. Not hammering you at all but my son cooked one last year for a family gig. His Mother in law sliced it with the grain. Flavor was awesome. Like chewing on rubber bands.
Cut it across the grain into like pencil thick or 1/4 inch slices and enjoy brother!!!

To add to Bull's reminder to slice across the grain, the direction of the grain on the flat is not the same as that of the point. Look very carefully before you start to slice. The point can be the opposite direction.

So, I slice it like a Tri Tip!:becky:

Cheers!
Bill

Yes, if you don't, you have ruined it.

I separate the point and flat just before slicing, and make sure to slice each across the grain. There are a couple of other ways to do it, but, that is the easiest, plus, folks can choose which cut they want.

Yes, if you don't, you have ruined it.

I separate the point and flat just before slicing, and make sure to slice each across the grain. There are a couple of other ways to do it, but, that is the easiest, plus, folks can choose which cut they want.

You can seperate the point from the flat very very easy.
Just take the back side of a thin knife and slide it between the 2 though the fat layer Bill.
Sounds harder than it actually is.
Good luck!

No problem..

I did know that, but I realise as this is my first effort, I might screw that up in my excitement.

Ahhh one other question. I've now got about 3 cups of rendered fat drom the dripping pan. Seems too good to throw out. Any uses for this???

Cheers!

Bill

No problem..

I did know that, but I realise as this is my first effort, I might screw that up in my excitement.

Ahhh one other question. I've now got about 3 cups of rendered fat drom the dripping pan. Seems too good to throw out. Any uses for this???

Cheers!

Bill
I poured mine back over the meat before wrapping, about a cup full.

Bill

It's probably more like 2 1/2 cups of drippings and 1/2 cup of fat. Separate the fat from the drippings using any method (I use a turkey baster to pull the drippings from underneath the fat). You can use the drippings to brush the slices, add to a BBQ sauce or even to keep the leftovers moist when you store the leftovers. No sense in letting that flavor to go waste. Good job there mate!

I've been watching this with great interest. Beautiful looking piece of meat, well prepped and the knowledge of thousands in your head. Can't wait to see the end result. Hope it is awesome. I have screwed up many briskets.... hope you don't!

Pics from when I pulled it...

Just TRY and tell me this is not MOIST!:biggrin1:

IMBD2011-06162013_1137_zps7a3110f4.jpg

IMBD2011-06162013_1136_zps44fe02ac.jpg

IMBD2011-06162013_1135_zps9a5ab7af.jpg

And here I lay it down to sleep... With the lid on of course. It's been there 3 hours now.

IMBD2011-06162013_1138_zps1c55e355.jpg

Cheers!

Bill

Bam! LuzziAnn make Brisket gravy from the drippin's. She's in bed now but I know it will keep. Perhaps some other folks know a recipe.

I separate the juice from the fat and pour the juice over the meat, discard the fat. If there are any leftovers, the juice sets like a beef gelatin and if you put it over the meat it melts into it when you re-heat it. Wonderful stuff.

That looks dry Bill. There, I did it.

I take the drippings and fat, heat it up and use it like a dip. You can separate like Saiko says, and that works great too. Never throw it out.

Wow, talk about dry!:heh:
Looks bloody good, so keen to see that results!

I used a sauce syringe to pull the juices from under the fat and used it to make a onion gravy.
Use the gravy to reheat..

I'll be making a red wine, onion mushroom gravy with the crunchy bits on the bottom of the pan. I'll add some of the render and some home made beef stock (which is just about ready).

This is gonna be awesome...

Cheers!

Bill

Back