BBQ Brethren "BBQ PIZZA" Throwdown!

so here's my throwdown entry. i've been working on a pizza formula for a good 18 months. what sounds simple is actually quite complex.

i use compressed yeast for the dough and a high or higher gluten four with compressed yeast. i think that is the real secret to pizza dough.

for sauce, i've commited to stanisalus 7/11 after many, many trials with others.

cheese is a mix of mozz, white chedder, and, pecorino romano with a touch of oregano mixed in.

the topping i chose is a locally made salumi made with heritage pork, nice and spicy with a lucious mouthfeel.

cooked on the kettle with lump, prolly @ 700* for @ 10 minutes, rested and sliced and EATEN!

any questions feel free to ask. enjoy the pron. photo (18).JPG

Attachments

• photo (12).JPG
    photo (12).JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 95
  • photo (13).JPG
    photo (13).JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 95
  • photo (14).JPG
    photo (14).JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 95
  • photo (15).JPG
    photo (15).JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Hey Gore! Whats the next TD category going to be? :heh:

For my official TD entry I went with a traditional pizza with the best topping ever invented, yup you guessed it Linguiça.

topping.jpg

And also my favorite cheese for pizza mixed 50/50 with mozzarella.

cheese.jpg

My asymmetric dough was brushed with EVOO and dusted with granulated garlic/parsley mix.

doh.jpg

Topped with sauce, cheese mix, onions, Linguiça and kale.

I thought I had a pic of the assembly but oops. We'll just fast forward to it coming off of Milton.

done.jpg

And the payoff.

closeup5.jpg

closeup2.jpg

It was delish, thanks for looking.

Official TD Entry

Please accept this as my humble entry into this TD.

I made two pies. Started with some homemade dough.
20oz bread flour
10 oz warm water
2 oz olive oil
1 packet quick rise yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt

Mixed the water, sugar and yeast to activate the yeast. Once that was foaming I added to the flour and mixed in the kitchen aid for about 15 minutes until the gluten had properly formed and it passed the window pane test.

Set aside to rest for about 45 minutes.

While the dough was resting I browned up some spicy Italian sausage, some crimini mushrooms and carmelized some shallots.

Once the dough had risen I rolled it out as thin as I could and then brushed with olive oil and spread with the carmelized shallots.

IMG_7251_zps70a72017.jpg

Then topped with some fresh mozz, the sausage and mushrooms.

IMG_7252_zps51ace86a.jpg

Then onto the Traeger at about 450 for 15 minutes. I usually use the kettle for pizza but thought I would try out the pellet pooper this time around. I really liked the extra smoke flavor that cooking in the Traeger gave the pie. It'll be the default pizza oven going forward.

Please use this as my entry pic.
IMG_7253_zpsde5591b0.jpg

Second pic I topped with some homemade sauce, hot cappicola, prosciutto and more fresh mozz.
IMG_7254_zpsedc1b0b9.jpg

15 minutes later
IMG_7255_zpse188530f.jpg

This was an excellent pizza as well, but the sausage and mushroom is always my favorite.

Thanks for looking.

-Dave

Last edited:
I have a feeling Moose feels abused enough without having the Colonel begging to see his poll.

(Is it safe to say that here).

No, but CD says I don't need it. I am trying to be more like CD. Haven't you read N&P lately?:confused:

Apparently I have to wait for Moose's poll in here now. This is too confusing. I wish I had a roadmap or something.

Back