BBQ Brethren "BBQ PIZZA" Throwdown!

Thanks, I would say hell yeah stop in for a beer, but am sicker than Sh** since Sunday.
It brings a soft licorice flavor and adds some crunchy texture (softened by par baking)
If you take it a step further and roast it until it caramelizes, it really becomes sweet and fragrant!! A largely overlooked veggie!!!!

Wow lot of really good looking pies. Making me hungry.

My Fajita pizza

Here is my first try at a pizza. It turned out farking awesome.

I like Tex Mex so I decided to make a fajita pizza.

Started with carmelizing some onion and red pepper
picture.php

Put some merinated steak on the grill
picture.php

Made up some pizza dough

picture.php

I used refried beans instead of sauce.

picture.php

Ready to bake!

picture.php

Add a few finishing touches (gotta have avacado and mexican cream)

picture.php

Finished and my official entry

picture.php

Yeah Indy you jumpin in here......You da Man.....great pie. I would have NEVER thought of beans for sauce.............Genius, pure Genius........Thanks

You old hands are in for some competition I think.
That looks great.
Never thought of putting avacado on a pizza.

My "Wasp Nest Pizza"

I wish for this to be my official entry into the pizza Throw Down.

Chileheads unite! I am pleased to offer this humble representation on our behalf in the pizza throwdown. It's a good thing I am doing this for fun, because man, there are some real contenders. Like that saying from the movie "Major League" goes, when the tough get goin', the goin' get tough!"

I call this my "Wasp Nest Pizza" because of all the Yellow Jackets (tabasco peppers) that are crawling all over it.

For anyone who would like to see/read the build of it, please take a magic carpet ride to the Q Talk here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155580

Here goes the process:

pizza030713_start_zps6c927607.jpg

pizza030713_finish_zps8c92a477.jpg

I'd like for this following pic to be the specific pic in the Throw Down for Voting

Can I offer you a slice?
1186.gif

pizza030713_slice_zps4717fb5e.jpg

Damn, these are some great entries. I'm almost glad I haven't had time to do a cook this week; y'all woulda put me to shame!

It seems like forever ago that I did my cook ... gah this has been a long week

Official Entry

Here's my official entry....throwing my pie in the ring....

Getting the dough ready....

F27E444C-F4E4-4334-9E54-8D203A974843-2167-000002DC209AE986_zps3f090033.jpg

F107CD2B-7665-40F9-9EF6-DB929169F16B-2167-000002DC2678F43D_zpsb3dd3a7f.jpg

3E48BA67-793D-4D84-8425-700EA6C317B7-2167-000002DC3592A8C2_zps58fa0d88.jpg

Made dough balls....

4F07EEF2-F952-4E24-B2CA-39B50C3888CA-2167-000002DC3DEAE2BA_zps218c256d.jpg

Caramelized Red Onions....

584DB650-8122-4C41-A999-C0291BB45737-2167-000002DC4860EE11_zps5ac924e1.jpg

Pancetta

59365056-0068-4EAE-A8C7-61CF0EEC1387-2167-000002DC4E754B48_zps92ac7ffa.jpg

The pizza on the OTG....dough, brushed with some olive oil, pancetta, caramelized onion, brussel sprouts, parm reggiano and a balsamic reduction...

C8196B23-FB00-4549-A198-B1B85F43158F-2167-000002DC570ADB77_zpsb051be14.jpg

The pizza inside...

3BE15BD2-FA03-4313-AFAF-26D895E4BA85-2167-000002DC6D08029A_zps96534c82.jpg

a slice

F60128B9-8934-4E17-A7BE-BE732C092487-2167-000002DC625B4CA3_zps61801917.jpg

49682E0D-9E3D-4B95-BA81-151E4DC95635-2167-000002DC67CECFE1_zps37899025.jpg

Use the last pic for the vote thread.

Enjoy...

Official Entry

Just for the Brethren - One time and one day only

Spicy Creole Pizza

I started with dough recipe from Forno Bravo for Vera Pizza Napoletana Dough

IMG_4638_zpscd555925.jpg

IMG_4640_zps6733f978.jpg

Cut up some cajun sausage and spicy chicken

IMG_4650_zps1eaeed38.jpg

IMG_4654_zps08c58b63.jpg

IMG_4655_zps9c3a68cf.jpg

Now for Creole Mustard Sauce - Pow I'm not sure why I said Pow! but somehow I think Creole Mustard Sauce should be followed by a Pow!

Anyway this turned out pretty darn tasty

Pow!

IMG_4647_zps46c6c8a2.jpg

IMG_4657_zps58fc627b.jpg

I'm a messy pizza builder. The sausage and chicken is all in there its just hiding along with some green onion and tomato along with mozzarella and cheddar cheese.

IMG_4658_zps5848a84f.jpg

Someday I'll master this pizza thing. It is pretty much hit and miss for me but today it was a hit. I wish it looked prettier but my 13 year old step-daughter (Greta) said it his her new favorite food. She can be uber picky so when she likes something I know I've hit on something.

IMG_4662_zpse2ca254e.jpg

IMG_4659_zpsd2b6cbaa.jpg

Thanks for looking

Old-school Fridge Trash "Keepin' It Real" Classic Pizza

I love pizza, but I'm not into fads. I guess what I'm saying is, I do everything wrong with pizza according to what's hip and in at the moment. My family and I just honestly don't enjoy a giant rectangular soda cracker with a few chunks of exotic cheese and half-fruits and chunks of strange, foreign vegetables randomly placed on it, then incinerated at 1500*F. I like a crust that's thick, yeasty, smoky, garlicky, crispy on the outside and soft and chewy inside. I want meat, lots of meat. I want 2" of classic toppings and loads of mozzarella cheese. A real pizza in the classic sense.

So, here's my classic, old school regular old pizza. First, I got my dough mixed and rising, then sauteed a half-pound of bacon, a half-pound of Italian sausage, a bunch of mushrooms, a green bell pepper, and half a sweet onion. And of course, I forgot to take pics of that part of the process. :oops:

Then I rolled, stretched, beat, and pried the dough out into a behemoth 18" round crust, and let it rise again while I got the fire going:

anotherpizza1.jpg

Then it was into the Akorn for a five-minute pre-bake at 350* (an essential step in my opinion with a thick crust pizza with loads of topping, unless you want it to be soggy.)

anotherpizza2.jpg

The crust brushed with olive oil, then sprinkled heavily with garlic powder and grated parmesan cheese, and slathered with a coat of my homemade marinara sauce that I canned up out of the garden:

anotherpizza3.jpg

About 2" of toppings applied-bacon, Italian sausage, black forest ham, pepperoni, green peppers, onions, mushrooms, over a pound of grated mozzarella cheese, black olives, basil, cayenne pepper flakes, more parmesan, garlic, and oregano:

anotherpizza4.jpg

Onto the Akorn at about 450*:

anotherpizza5.jpg

Sliced and ready to go (USE THIS PHOTO:)

anotherpizza6.jpg

Close-up of crusty, cheesy, meaty goodness:

anotherpizza7.jpg

I love pizza, but I'm not into fads. I guess what I'm saying is, I do everything wrong with pizza according to what's hip and in at the moment. My family and I just honestly don't enjoy a giant rectangular soda cracker with a few chunks of exotic cheese and half-fruits and chunks of strange, foreign vegetables randomly placed on it, then incinerated at 1500*F.

Maybe better suited for the "Wood Pile"?

BTW, "Fads" don't go back hundreds of years.

You do have a really good entry it looks great, thank you for sharing it.

I love pizza, but I'm not into fads. I guess what I'm saying is, I do everything wrong with pizza according to what's hip and in at the moment. My family and I just honestly don't enjoy a giant rectangular soda cracker with a few chunks of exotic cheese and half-fruits and chunks of strange, foreign vegetables randomly placed on it, then incinerated at 1500*F.

Maybe better suited for the "Wood Pile"?

BTW, "Fads" don't go back hundreds of years.

You do have a really good entry it looks great, thank you for sharing it.

Some of us may just be looking for the elusive zero...:pray:

Charcoal Grilled Pizza two ways

Please accept this as my entry in the Pizza Throwdown.

Homemade pizza from the ground up, homemade dough and sauce topped with our favorite toppings.

First I mixed up my homemade dough and prepped it to receive the toppings. My wife wanted a veggie pizza that aside from sauce and cheese included mushrooms, onion, green pepper, broccoli, spinach, tomato, pineapple, black olives and banana peppers. Her ingredients:

PizzaThrowdown01.jpg

I decided to go with a traditional Pepperoni Pizza. Both pizzas ready for cheese:

PizzaThrowdown02.jpg

Loaded with Cheese:

PizzaThrowdown03.jpg

Pizzas on my Weber Kettle over lump (please use this as my entry in the throwdown):

PizzaThrowdown04.jpg

And the traditional Pepperoni Pizza:

PizzaThrowdown05.jpg

The plated photo including both varieties of pizza.

PizzaThrowdown06.jpg

Thanks for looking at my entry.

Phew! This was a good excuse to make some ribs -- actually, like I needed one. :becky: I've been dreaming about ribs from my childhood. Many decades ago, there was an Italian restaurant in South Tucson called Alfredo's. Now, nobody goes to South Tucson for Italian as they have excellent Mexican restaurants, but Alfredo's had these wonderful ribs. Ribs like I've had nowhere else. Most of you probably can't believe that there are other ways to cook ribs and make them nice. I grew up with them being a part of spaghetti sauce, a glorious part. Alfredo's ribs were not like that. They were like our BBQ, but the sauce was like a pizza sauce. They were glorious ribs and this TD gave me a chance to replicate them, well, to give it a shot anyway. I began with some spare ribs, three racks. I removed the membranes and seasoned them in the usual way, ... except ... completely differently. I rubbed them down with EVOO, then coated with S&P and finished up with basil, parsley, and oregano:

IMG_7183.jpg

These went on the Oval with a chunk of oak for smoke. Spares are a bit bigger and I used the rib rack.

IMG_7184.jpg

After a couple hours, we coated them in some pizza sauce and wrapped for an hour or so:

IMG_7185.jpg

These went back on the firm up for about 15 minutes. Then we brought them in to cool. Some went into a pot with spaghetti sauce, some were set aside for later, and some were trimmed.

IMG_7190.jpg

Oh yeah, this was about pizza. Well, you've probably seen 50 posts of making pizza dough, so I'm only going to point out what's different, at least what I think is different, because I haven't gone through all of this thread yet. The dough was rolled out and the edges were sliced. A rib was placed on the dough with a bit of sauce and rolled up:

IMG_7189.jpg

The center was coated with sauce, cheese, pepperoni, sausage and some sauteed mushrooms. This went into the Oval for about 5 minutes and... (probably use this photo)

IMG_7193.jpg

Mmmmm, stuffed crust pizza, but not with cheese, which I always found a bit disappointing. It was definitely a treat

IMG_7203.jpg

Thanks for looking.

IMG_7205.jpg

Wow, this almost looks like one of them crazy-stupid ideas that could be turned into a Cooking with the Master episode. :shock:

Back