MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Default Joining a Team Just to Learn

Hey guys! I am a smoker of younger age and novice experience and very interested in trying to find someone who would let me tag along for one of their cooks. I'd be very happy to the the bi*** of the team and do anything that anyone else doesn't care for! Being 25 I know I have a lot to learn about a lot of different things in life, and I would love to try and up my game on smoking and maybe one day have a team of my own. Maybe pick up some other life lessons along the way! LOL.

Anywho, I'm located in Birmingham, AL. Anyone who is close to there let me know, I'll be glad to be the go to boy for running around and being a side helper. I don't want any credit towards the cook at the end, I just want to leave with a better understanding of the comp circuit. I have a guy on the Weber forum that I might get to do Stokin' with here in Bham in August, but anything else I would be glad to be involved with. I'm ready and willing to work my ass off.

BTW, I didn't know if this was the place I needed to post this, or if it was frowned upon, but I am very interested in learning more and excited from what I have learned so far from the site and what I might be able to gain from someone who has done it for years. If this is an unacceptable kind of post, please take it down. I do not want to do anything that might offend anyone or break the rules of this site.

-Cory Baughn

Last edited by rcbaughn; 02-17-2013 at 10:43 AM..
rcbaughn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

How do you smoke "youngs"???? hahahaha, I crack myself up....
Good luck on your endeavor...
smokeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

There is a section on here called BBQ Brethren Team Mentoring where your request might get more notice. Perhaps a Mod will see this and be kind enough to move it there for you.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Hahahaha! I'm sure if I tried to go out right now and compete on my own I'd get smoked by everyone and their momma there! Be a nervous wreck too, drive myself mad. And thank you SO MUCH for telling me about the mentoring section. Maybe it will get moved there. Thanks so much again for that, I don't know how I didn't see it.

Last edited by rcbaughn; 02-17-2013 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: Got the threads showing problem fixed.
rcbaughn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
jketron
Full Fledged Farker

First question, how long do you boil the ribs before you smoke them?
Backwoods Party G2, WSM 18/22
Grill of His Dreams #1 Rule of BBQ... Have fun :razz:
jketron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
jketron
Full Fledged Farker

ok ok, all jokes aside, if you make it out to California I'd be more than happy to show you what I have learned. I'm just beginning to cook competitively myself and can't wait to learn even more
Backwoods Party G2, WSM 18/22
Grill of His Dreams #1 Rule of BBQ... Have fun :razz:
jketron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jketron View Post
My last rack about 4 hours, then I just broiled in the oven! That's barbecue right? Right.

But yeah, thank you so much for extending an open invitation to etting me hang around your team. I wish I could get out that way, the farthest I've been west was Las Vegas and that was a pretty place when you got outside the city. Grand Canyon was life changing too.... But maybe not as much as Vegas at night.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Well I may have found someone that is willing to let me join their team for an event in Gadsden, AL in August! I'm excited about it so hopefully it will work out and I'll be able to pick up a few things. If not I'll go anyways and just try to pick some stuff up from meandering around!

Old 02-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

Where does your heart lie in the Fall?

And where exactly are you from? Nobody lives "in Birmingham"...
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jketron View Post
He's from Alabama. Not up north.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs on Fire View Post
Where does your heart lie in the Fall?

And where exactly are you from? Nobody lives "in Birmingham"...
My heart lies anytime with learning about cooking slow and learning from someone older and way smarter than I am. I'm willing to travel a good piece as long as I can find somewhere to stay for a good price if it's overnight. The price of learning can't be measured if ya ask me, but college funds kinda cut that short if ya know what I mean.

I live IN Birmingham, right i, downtown on Southside in an old house that I rent. I'm originally from Lynn, Alabama though which is about 60 miles north of B'ham and 20 miles north of Jasper, AL. It's in Winston County, bottom left hand corner. Small town. Very, very small town. Around 600 population.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

So you're a Bama fan.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #13
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs on Fire View Post
So you're a Bama fan.

NOT NO BUT HELL NO!!!!!!! Auburn is where my heart lies in football. Alabama can stick it where the sun don't shine as far as I care. I am also a UAB fan since I take classes there, but tailgating at Legion field just ain't the same and UAB football just isn't serious at all. It's not supported by hardly anyone and that sucks. War Eagle though!

Old 02-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
New Pal Frank
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey, you can't knock the kid for asking. I was there a couple years ago and a team took me in for a couple contests and last summer my wife and I went out on our own and did 8 contest. We heard our name call 13 times.
Good luck RC and don't give up.
Husband & Wife Team (so far)

[B][I][COLOR=magenta][U]Hug Hogs Competition BBQ Team[/U] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black][U]New Palestine IN[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
New Pal Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #15
hogzillas
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbaughn View Post
NOT NO BUT HELL NO!!!!!!! Auburn is where my heart lies in football. Alabama can stick it where the sun don't shine as far as I care. I am also a UAB fan since I take classes there, but tailgating at Legion field just ain't the same and UAB football just isn't serious at all. It's not supported by hardly anyone and that sucks. War Eagle though!

I knew there was something I did like about you from your post on Vitual Weber & as well as something in common - we both hate that university down the road. Yes tailgating at LF is problematic but that's what you get when your BOT doesn't care for your program nor 1 of the other universities (UAH) in the 3 university system & you're stuck at a century old stadium run by the gumps of the same ilk. Now if we could only get our own stadium things would be a different matter . I tailgate at the UAB games & a fan of it as well as employee.
hogzillas is offline   Reply With Quote