• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

KCBS Events Search

W

wmaes47

This is a smart little desktop program for searching KCBS santioned events to judge or for competition...

I have been in the beta stages and found it very useful... One limitation comes when a maximum daily allowable six searches from Google...

KCBS Events Search
As a judge or competitor, it is an arduous task to find BBQ Competition events that are within a reasonable driving distance from your home town.

You have searched the events of the KCBS website for something that seemed close, then to determine the drive time to see if you wanted to apply.

As a solution I decided to write an application in which I can specify a "home" location and a maximum driving time and/or distance. This application then scans all future KCBS Events and calculates the distance from your "home" location. It then gives you a list of events within that specified distance. Your starting ZIP Code is all that is required.
KCBS Events Search includes:

- A link to the event website to find the application
- Keeps track of which event applications submitted
- Keeps track of events you have been confirmed
- Print feature for all or partial events list

This application was so successful that I want to share KCBS Events Search with fellow KCBS members. This is a standalone Java application and requires no installation. This application should work on any computer with Java JRE 7 or better installed.

KCBS Events Search is shareware. There is no cost to KCBS members, if it is for personal use. If you find this program helpful, a donation is appreciated to defray costs of support and future releases. Donations are not required for use.

To download KCBS Events Search, simply click on the link below and fill in the form. Further instruction will be provided to start your experience and ease of search.
http://dap002.dyndns-ip.com/KCBSEvents

F.A.Q.
http://dap002/KCBSEvents/faq.html

Best regards
Dennis Putnam

Still can't get it to work for me either. Link works but it says it can't find me in the kcbs site. Same thing it was doing last time...

I could get the links to work but it won't verify my team name (I did check the KCBS site and my team is listed)

Try copy and paste into your browser...

I clicked on the link and it worked from my laptop...

Today, a new release was sent out with the following on the registration page:
"Note: If you are not a certified BBQ judge but are a KCBS member with a registered team, check this box. "

This will allow any KCBS member in good standing with an assigned number, now includes cook teams to search for events...

The program is getting better daily...

No go for me, app seems promising. The link did not recognize my information the second time.

Dennis
I did try and copy both my team name and member name from the KCBS team page and it still won't let me in.

Why are you collecting KCBS member numbers and did KCBS give you a list of all member numbers to check against?

Why the decision to force people to enter their member information to use the search?

Why are you collecting KCBS member numbers and did KCBS give you a list of all member numbers to check against?

Why the decision to force people to enter their member information to use the search?

I also wondered about this. Asking for member numbers seems unnecessary at best given that the contest information is available on the KCBS website without collecting that information or even logging in. I wanted to see what it looked like, but I'm very much against providing personal information, even non-confidential information, for something like this.

Sorry about those having trouble downloading the application. There was a problem with my web site yesterday but it was fixed yesterday afternoon. If you try again today and are still having trouble, please PM me. This thread was a re-post by someone helping me out and most of your questions were answered in the original thread.

The main reason I ask for the KCBS information is to thwart robots trying to kill my server. I need something to verify against and that seemed the best way. The only other reasonable alternative is to use captcha which I hate and if you've ever had to use it probably do to. I also want to limit it to KCBS members.

That being said, verifying team members is somewhat problematic as I have to depend on the KCBS web site being consistent. With verifying CBJs, it is. With teams, I have not had enough folks try it to make sure I have it right and apparently from the comments, I do not. If you are a non-CBJ that is a team member please PM me with the exact information you entered on the request page. I want to get this working properly.

Again I apologize for the problems with this initial rollout and hope you find the application sufficiently useful to make your patience worth while. I thank you for that patience.

Just tried again and getting same message saying my team cannot be verified. I am a member in good standing and my info pulls right up on the kcbs site.

Just tried again and getting same message saying my team cannot be verified. I am a member in good standing and my info pulls right up on the kcbs site.
Please PM me the exact information you entered. I really need to figure out why it does not work all the time. Thanks.

Back