MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #46
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Have you decided if you are going to get a WSM, PBC, or some other type of smoker yet?
Yeah, I ordered the pbc a week ago. Can't wait!

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #47
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friscoag View Post
I lighted a chimney with kingsford comp. I let about half the briquettes light in the chimney before dumping into the fire box with at least half unlit coals. I've got the lid on and my temp probe leveled out about 360. Did I light too much in the chimney? I'm letting it sit and see if it'll come down before I put my chicken on.

Just got my PBC today :)

Sorry that the thread went the way it did, but that is a whole nother story. How did it end up turning out? We wanna know!

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #48
Friscoag
Knows what a fatty is.

Flavor was good, just overcooked a slight bit. When I checked with the thermapen at bout hour and a half it was 180 (in the breast), so I pulled. I had several distractions going on though. I'll do a couple more this week when I have a little more time.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #49
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

I go by this by the rule for turkey, but it also applies to chicken too. I printed it out and if you go by the temp and pulling recommendations on it, they work very nicely for chicken too!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ght=turkey+101

I know what you mean about those distractions! I have two distractions of my own!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #50
AZScott
Take a breath!

So do these smokers naturally run hot?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #51
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Mine ran hot until i put the meat in it and put the lid on it, then it drops down to 280.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #52
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScott View Post
So do these smokers naturally run hot?
A pitmaster knows how to make anything run hot.. er... properly. Whether it is a hole in the ground, Jambo, Bandera, or UDS.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #53
SimcoBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
Mine ran hot until i put the meat in it and put the lid on it, then it drops down to 280.
Are you starting it by the manufacturer recommendations? I've got one on the way and would like to know if I really need to buy some starter fluid.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #54
Friscoag
Knows what a fatty is.

Second time I used it I only lit 10-12 briquettes and it worked a lot better. No I didn't use lighter fluid, I used a paper towel with vegetable oil and the chimney upside down. I Let them get good and lit and dumped into the basket and I was off.

Comp briquettes still ran a little hot 325ish but I was using the grid with no rebar so more draft.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #55
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimcoBBQ View Post
Are you starting it by the manufacturer recommendations? I've got one on the way and would like to know if I really need to buy some starter fluid.
I'd use the weber firestarters, or make your own. I make mine because I use soy wax and don't want paraffin wax inside it.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #56
480 Volt
Got Wood.

Guy,s quit trying to over think the PBC. Just follow Noah,s instruction untill you cook on this thing for a while. then you can mod or whatever. This thing is the Bomb. Just ordered one for a friend.
480 Volt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #57
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480 Volt View Post
Guy,s quit trying to over think the PBC. Just follow Noah,s instruction untill you cook on this thing for a while. then you can mod or whatever. This thing is the Bomb. Just ordered one for a friend.
I never followed the instructions!

And have been doing just fine with it mind you..