MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:01 PM   #46
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
I use teriyaki sauce as a sticking agent, it adds the umami factor with savory, sweet, salty, and bitter as balanced flavors..

Apply a thin coat then add the rub, let sit 10-20 minutes before going into the smoker.
I use soy sauce, applied with a spray bottle. It adds nice flavor. I use low sodium so the end result isn't too salty.
22.5" WSM (x2) /[COLOR=Orange][B] Orange [/B][/COLOR]& [B]Black [/B]Mini-WSM / Lion gas grill / [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Green[/B][/COLOR] Weber Performer / [COLOR="Red"][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] & [COLOR="gold"][B] Gold [/B][/COLOR] Mini-WSM / XL Big Green Egg
Chezmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 PM   #47
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

Anyone use grapeseed oil? Went to a BBQ class a while back and they recommended using that due to its higher flash point and it's pretty much tasteless. Haven't tried it since its about four times the cost of olive oil.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #48
Big M1ke
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'ville Grill View Post
I don't see any need really to use mustard or oil to get rub to stick to meat. I don't use anything and I don't have a problem with rub falling off.
Same here. I used mustard a few times. Lately i just put the rub on and let it sweat. Always sticks.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #49
BC Squared
Full Fledged Farker

No binder here...rub and onto the cooker.
BC Squared is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #50
bacchus99
Full Fledged Farker

I rinse the ribs and blot dry with a napkin and then apply rub while cooker is coming up to temp. Works just fine.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #51
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Try this next time. Apply rub as usual. Apply a small amount of mayonnaise & massage that into the rub. Maybe 2-3 Tablespoons of Mayo per Baby Back. I use Hellman's. Sounded goofy when I first read about it. Then I tried it.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #52
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Anyone have problems getting a smoke ring when oiling ribs? my last 2 rib tests have had very poor smoke ring when oiling
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #53
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
Anyone have problems getting a smoke ring when oiling ribs? my last 2 rib tests have had very poor smoke ring when oiling
I've never used oil, but in a BBQ class that I took last year, the instructor (Konrad Haskins) specifically advised against using oil for exactly this reason.
22.5" WSM (x2) /[COLOR=Orange][B] Orange [/B][/COLOR]& [B]Black [/B]Mini-WSM / Lion gas grill / [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Green[/B][/COLOR] Weber Performer / [COLOR="Red"][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] & [COLOR="gold"][B] Gold [/B][/COLOR] Mini-WSM / XL Big Green Egg
Chezmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #54
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

The diversity of responses shows that almost anything goes. The conclusion must be try any product and if you like it use it to get the same result. On the other hand as an example I get in a rut with salad dressing then after a few experiments have a new favourite.
Keep practising!!!!
John

Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #55
mawil1013
On the road to being a farker

After rinsing off the ribs, or any meat, I have a towel I use to pat dry the meat. After doing that, any seasoning will easily stick and not 'pool' as seasoning does of meat is wet from water.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #56
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I usually get a deep smoke ring, all the way through ribs when using zesty Italian.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #57
Danny B
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltont View Post
Try this next time. Apply rub as usual. Apply a small amount of mayonnaise & massage that into the rub. Maybe 2-3 Tablespoons of Mayo per Baby Back. I use Hellman's. Sounded goofy when I first read about it. Then I tried it.

Did you wrap these? They look great.
Danny B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #58
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Look Up Grace Jones Rubber Grabber

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #59
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny B View Post
Did you wrap these? They look great.
Thanks!!! I rarely wrap ribs any more. I found the Mayo & my rub, which has a fair amount of brown sugar and Turbinado sugar, @ 275 F almost always yields this result. Cheers!!!

Old 02-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #60
basuraman
Full Fledged Farker

What ever I remember to do. The left overs in my lunch box I used yellow mustard.