MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #31
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
No room between the charcoal firebox and the diverter could be problematic for the Chubby, no?
Just have to be careful and not over fill the coal basket. As long that fire box is, mounding the coal up is not necessary. Should get 8 hrs at 250 no problem on it.
abangs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #32
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

Dave
It was good to see you and thank you for the coverage on the G2's!!!!

Old 12-20-2012, 05:41 AM   #33
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

I see 11hrs after starting my burnout, the G2 Chubby is still above 200. after running it up to 350 for a few hrs and hitting 2x with pam, I pulled the guru off and went to bed. Got an inch of snow overnight as well. pretty farking impressed for how little charcoal I used. Im used to dumping 20lb bags into my wsm22
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #34
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abangs View Post
Just have to be careful and not over fill the coal basket. As long that fire box is, mounding the coal up is not necessary. Should get 8 hrs at 250 no problem on it.
I got 9 hrs during my seasoning at 400 with charcoal left. Granted it wasn't with loaded with food, but that is very promising .

Old 12-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #35
Jason TQ

Whoops. Dup.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #36
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Pulled the firebox out after 12 hrs of HH burn. just a couple little glowing shards. Talk about selling me on this cooker, I pulled out the box+ash pan in 1, dumped the ash pan and firebox separately and pushed her into the garage. still reading 150 and just radiating heat when I opened the doors. closed her up and though I know nothing hot should be trusted, I feel pretty safe with it in an enclosed garage and going to work. nice, very nice
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #37
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
maybe Ill swing by HD and pick up some lava rock. I run my WSM with just a foiled pan. gave up on dealing with the greasy/nasty foiled flower pot base. didnt notice much difference but the wsm has sig more room between the water pan and the g2
I found on the Chubby at least that you can't really foil the water pan. the WSM pan is round...so the foil just sits on the bottom. Expanding air escapes up the sides. On my Chubby, the square pan traps any air under the foil and creates a big bubble. That air gap is an excellent insulator, and has a big impact on the temp in the Chubby.

I would think a drip pan over the water would work fine, but only if you have the space for it. Not a lot of room in there.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #38
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
Those are sweet. Dear Santa....
You have room next to the Jambo and the Yoders?

The new racks are nice. They look more like...FEC racks.

Is it just the skin that's Galvinized? The interior chamber on the back of the Backwoods tends to rust from the inside out. Would be nice if they had an option to use stainless for those pieces.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #39
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post
You have room next to the Jambo and the Yoders?

The new racks are nice. They look more like...FEC racks.

Is it just the skin that's Galvinized? The interior chamber on the back of the Backwoods tends to rust from the inside out. Would be nice if they had an option to use stainless for those pieces.
Yes, just the skins. They do have an option to do the interior in stainless. However, not sure on the cost but I imagine it aint cheap....like fall out of your chair not cheap....!!!!

Old 12-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #40
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
I got 9 hrs during my seasoning at 400 with charcoal left. Granted it wasn't with loaded with food, but that is very promising .
Dry it'll rock 250 for probably 12 hrs easy. Wet is gonna use alot more fuel. Haven't cooked on the G2 yet, but my guess will be 8-9 hrs at 250. Fire that hooker up wet, slap a butt on and let us know Jason!!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #41
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by abangs View Post
Dry it'll rock 250 for probably 12 hrs easy. Wet is gonna use alot more fuel. Haven't cooked on the G2 yet, but my guess will be 8-9 hrs at 250. Fire that hooker up wet, slap a butt on and let us know Jason!!!!!!!
How did you know I like to fire my hookers up wet and slap a butt on them?? I mean my secret second life really isn't a mystery to most people, but I figured it would take you longer to find out . When I do it though I'll make sure to post pictures .

Old 12-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #42
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Sorry to hijack, but something I've never understood about BWS users: Why would you ever want one with sand? Isn't the main point that the smoke and heat come through side channel and then out the top? If so, wouldn't it be best to have a layer of insulation between the coals and the food so that there is no direct heat? Insulation neither absorbes, conducts, nor radiates heat. Why would would you want to use sand which will end up absorbing heat from the coals, and then radiating it back out?

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #43
Uncle Buds BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
Sorry to hijack, but something I've never understood about BWS users: Why would you ever want one with sand? Isn't the main point that the smoke and heat come through side channel and then out the top? If so, wouldn't it be best to have a layer of insulation between the coals and the food so that there is no direct heat? Insulation neither absorbes, conducts, nor radiates heat. Why would would you want to use sand which will end up absorbing heat from the coals, and then radiating it back out?

dmp
The sand or water acts as a heat sink and keeps the temps in the 200's.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #44
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

^^^What he said. I found that cooking without water helps when smoking a turkey, but it was a little harder keeping temps steady with the pan empty. I would think sand would improve the temp stability. For all of my other meats, I always cook using water.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #45
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

No offense, but the above sentence makes no sense. Heat sinks are used to absorb energy and then dissipate it outside of a system. Based on the second law of thermodynamics, heat from the cooking chamber WILL NOT dissipate into the fire chamber, so if the sand truly is a heat sink, it is transferring heat into the cooking chamber. If preventing too much heat from transferring is the goal, why not use an insulator? Silicone is an electric insulator, and it exhibits low thermal conductivity, but "sand" is not a very good insulator relative to other things out there. If you're trying to introduce moisture or liquid flavours, I can understand the water pan, but if you're trying to keep the heat even, why not use a hotel pan filled with the same insulation that's in the sides? Doesn't the Onyx oven have something like that?

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->