MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

Default Saturday Smoked Salmon

Started last night with 2 12oz salmon filets. Dry brined maybe 18-20 hours in a simple salt/sugar rub with pepper added. Let dry in front of a fan until a pellicle formed, then smoked at 200˚ until the IT hot 150˚.
Turned out pretty well. Next time I'll try pink salt and do a post brine soak to make it a little less salty.

Mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I can smell that from here... man... that looks awesome!

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yup, pretty sure I could eat that into nonexistence! Looks great! What was your ratio? Raw or brown sugar? How long would you post soak? I have some salmon thawing right now I'd like to smoke. I used to smoke alot of salmon when I was younger but I was a drunkard kid hack at the ECB!

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

It was 1 part dark brown, 1 part white, 2 parts kosher salt. With each part being a quarter cup, I added 1TB black pepper. I think a 60-90 minute soak would get rid of a lot of the saltiness.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
thompson238
Got Wood.

These look awesome!

Old 12-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #6
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChrister View Post
Yup, pretty sure I could eat that into nonexistence! Looks great! What was your ratio? Raw or brown sugar? How long would you post soak? I have some salmon thawing right now I'd like to smoke. I used to smoke alot of salmon when I was younger but I was a drunkard kid hack at the ECB!
Check put Gore's Thread on smoked Salmon
I could do some serious damage to that Looks excellent
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

That looks great. I want it for breakfast!!
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
Wampus

Looks awesome! LOVE smoked salmon.

I've tried a few different recipes at salmon, but HERE is my all time favorite.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdboatbum View Post
Started last night with 2 12oz salmon filets. Dry brined maybe 18-20 hours in a simple salt/sugar rub with pepper added. Let dry in front of a fan until a pellicle formed, then smoked at 200˚ until the IT hot 150˚.
Turned out pretty well. Next time I'll try pink salt and do a post brine soak to make it a little less salty.
I dry brine all my salmon (flesh side down on plastic wrap, and sealed). Depending on the salt factor folks prefer (and the fillet thickness) my cure times range from 6 hours to 15 hours. Then I rinse and let it sit overnight in the fridge to equalize. After smoking I refrigerate again for 12 hours before eating or giving away. This makes slicing easier and softens the surface slightly.

Saltiness could be as simple as your ratio, try 2 parts sugar to one part salt, plus seasonings. I don't recommend pink salt if your pit temps are 190°-200°. Saltiness can also be from not rinsing enough, even a rinse then 15 minutes in a bucket of water will make a difference. Lastly, a long rest allows the salt, (which is in a higher concentration near the surface) to equalize within the flesh. The equalization is an important step because once your tongue tastes salt, it convinces your brain that all of the fillet is too salty. Another thing I do following smoking is to give my fillets a very light shine coat with olive oil.

I think your pit temps are good, and the 150° internal is what I use for myself as I like a moist product. Folks that like theirs a little drier, I'll take to 170°. Here is a fillet smoked to 150°.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
BobM
Babbling Farker

Great cook! My wife wants me to do more fish, this is definitely a winner!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
ManakooraMan
Knows what a fatty is.

thats da kine. Maybe a quick "reverse sear" will do the trick on a cold smoke too.
ManakooraMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I don't recommend pink salt if your pit temps are 190°-200°.

I was thinking of cold smoking if I used pink salt. Maybe 4 hrs. Thanks for all the tips on the ratios and letting everything equalize. I'm definitely trying this one again!!

Old 12-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Looks fantastic!

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #14
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdboatbum View Post
I was thinking of cold smoking if I used pink salt. Maybe 4 hrs. Thanks for all the tips on the ratios and letting everything equalize. I'm definitely trying this one again!!
Yes, some pink salt is an option if you are going to do a combination of cold smoking and drying. We can nail down the ratio.... but I believe it is 2t to 1T of pink salt per cup of salt, then there is sugar, spices etc., added too.

A second option is Gravlax which is cured without using pink salt, and is not smoked. It has some aromatics and often fennel or dill tops are layered in during the curing.

A third option is Nova lox. It is cured and cold smoked. There are several recipes and I just published my latest revision of this classic cold smoked salmon. I don't use pink salt in this one, but I do a double cure (dry and wet). I tell you what, I'll start a separate Nova lox thread.... the timing might be good for the holidays anyway. Here is some of my Nova lox next to some cured and hot smoked salmon.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 12-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #15
thirdeye

So I don't hi-jack your thread (too much) , my Nova lox thread is now posted in Q-Talk.....