MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #31
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

If I was going to spend the money that a BKK4000 costs, I would just get an Egg since the BKK4000 only comes with a 10 year warranty.

[url]www.facebook.com/goindeepbbq[/url]
CT-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #32
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

I have a large BGE. I like it. I bought in off craigslist for way, way, way, cheaper than retail. That being said, I had an alert set on my phone for about three years before I found one that cheap. People don't sell these cookers once they buy them unless they are moving out of town (they are hella heavy), so there is something to be said for that. I could afford one, just couldn't see myself spending that kind of jack on a piece of ceramic. I still feel the same. Like the cooker, use it a bunch, still think they are pretty overpriced retail (as well as all of the extra additions that you need to buy along with it to maximize it's abilities).

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2014, 06:26 PM   #33
energyzer
is one Smokin' Farker

Question

Question...heard that the XL BGE doesn't work as well as the large. Agree? Is the XL worth the extra money?

Old 04-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #34
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Big Green Egg- Nope

BGE's are cool, almost Art- well they are very functional artwork. All my friends and family that have the ceramic cookers have BGE (I have a mini BGE). But when it came time to buy a ceramic I remained the Black Sheep of the family. Primo XL Oval stainless cart fit my needs. There are lots of reasons I chose Primo, do your homework and decide what's important to you.

Peeps your hero status expired I'm turning the Longhorn around ;-))

Last edited by 16Adams; 06-01-2014 at 11:39 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #35
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

I've worked for big green egg doing demos. Get the XL if you're cooking for anything more then 2-4 people routinely.

I've easily fit 6 racks of ribs in my large egg. I have the adjustable rig in there with 3 levels. I had a small for about 2 days, until i sold it to a friend. It was so small it was useless.

If you're in the market for an egg. Check craigslist or ebay, find a good used one.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #36
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Egg capacity

3 slabs of babybacks on 2 levels of Adjustable Rig, oval stone on lowest level.
6 slabs of BB's will fit easily on 2 racks... 9 if you used all 3 levels and used the spider/round stone as the heat deflector. Smoking unntrimmed spare ribs, you could get 4 or 6 slabs using the same setups.

IMG_0680a babybacks.jpg
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #37
Drunk Monkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drunk Monkey

I have the Costco Vision. Love it but would like a larger ceramic in the future. One day a Primo XL will move in. Since I just built a UDS that day is pretty far in the future.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #38
BGBarracus
Knows what a fatty is.

On my way now to pick up a CL Med Egg with plate setter for $200!
BGBarracus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #39
golfnugget
Got Wood.

I finally bought my first Kamado a few weeks ago after falling in love with a friends BGE close to 8 years ago and never being able to justify spending the money. I still couldn't justify spending the money on the BGE, so went with a Vision Grills Kamado at a fraction of the cost. So far I love my new Kamado and have been extremely impressed with the customer service from Vision. What really made me take a chance on the Vision instead of the BGE was the fact it came with a lot of the accessories that were extra with the BGE - stand, double rack, heat deflector/pizza stone, electric starter, cover.

Good luck with your new purchase, I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you get.
golfnugget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #40
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Eggfests are a great bargain, because you get the lifetime warranty as well. Recently, at an eggfest in Salado, the large was going for $759 - large BGE, nest, bag of lump, starters, and I think the platesetter was included too.

If you find a really good CL deal, then it may be worth it to buy without warranty. Don't believe any CL seller who tells you it comes with a lifetime warranty, since the warranty only applies to the original owner.

A local dealer here has 20% off sales regularly throughout the year, and BGE's and accessories are included.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #41
loco_engr
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBarracus View Post
On my way now to pick up a CL Med Egg with plate setter for $200!
Check it over very close for any cracks!
Good Luck

Old 04-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #42
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

I love my Large Agree with the Eggfest and finding a Demo If you get it from a dealer you get the warranty
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #43
BGBarracus
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco_engr View Post
Check it over very close for any cracks!
Good Luck
No cracks at all. Just a small nickel sized chip in the enamel on the back side of the lid which was disclosed in the ad. Lucked out with a nice score.
BGBarracus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2014, 12:18 AM   #44
sumrtym
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyzer View Post
Question...heard that the XL BGE doesn't work as well as the large. Agree? Is the XL worth the extra money?
I've heard that before and it I think most saying that were because of the low dome height in the XL. It's since been redesigned with a higher dome to look like the rest of the BGEs.
sumrtym is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2014, 02:14 AM   #45
sternberg
Knows what a fatty is.

get a big one
you can cook small food on a big bbq
you cant cook big food on a small bbq
sternberg is offline   Reply With Quote