The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

Default Anyone cut a grill grate in half? Stability?

Hey guys,
I have a pit barrel cooker and want to tailgate this weekend. For space purposes I would like to hang sausages from one rebar and then have about 20 drum sticks cooking flat on the grate. I think I might be able to use bolt cutters to remove some of the "grates."

My question is: has anyone cut a grill grate before? Will I lose stability if I take out about 1/3 of the grates? Maybe leave the one central grate?

Photo attached - the yellow lines show the direction of the grates I want to cut out so I can hang.

I already did the measurement and you can't hang sausages on top of the grate, they wouldn't hang right. Also, this would allow something like ribs on the right and ABTs on the left. And part of this is just because its awesome to hang stuff and I have an extra (WSM grate) that I can easily cut up.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grate cut.jpg (99.9 KB, 209 views)

Old 12-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think you would still have a plenty rigid grate. Just make sure when you cut it, the welds where the straight bars meet the ring are still intact.
- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
Shagdog
Babbling Farker

I've cut out grates on a weber 22 like that before. I used a jig saw and it worked fine. Leave the outer ring and just cut the individual grates you want removed.

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
ebijack
is Blowin Smoke!

Like mentioned, leave the outer ring, I'd take out all the cross bars from the first yellow marker to the right outside ring so you have room to swing the meat in and out without it getting hung up and dropping into the pit.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

No problem. Leave the center support and the last two cross pieces it's welded to (exactly the way you marked it), and you'll have plenty of support remaining. I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Probably OK unless you plan to put a lot of weight on the grate.

Another alternative would be to get a hinged grate and flip the hinged portions over. You would get some space on either side for hanging your sausage.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Sounds like you can cut it... But could you also not use some hooks and hang the sausage side to side between the rebar? Loop it around or something.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks guys. Some great ideas here! I'll post a photo after I cut it up.

John

Old 12-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

i like the idea of getting a weber hinged grate. But i certainly understand the desire to use what you already have.
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

Here's the update to this. It was a great success. The grate cut easily and I hung polish sausage on one side and cooked chicken lollipops on the other. Ideally I would have cooked ribs but this was a tailgate and ribs would have pushed our time too close to the game.

Here are a few photos, more description is posted here: http://www.grilling24x7.com/pbcmod.shtml.

I think this is a pretty cool Pit Barrel Cooker grate modification.

Cheers!

John

Thanks from: --->

Tags
cut, Grate, pit barrel cooker, sausage