• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked Salmon 18-hr. @ 170*

Ross in Ventura

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
DSC_0026-3.jpg

Started out clean I always use a Turbo Grate
DSC_0027-3.jpg

RO lump and Apple and Cherry wood
DSC_0029-4.jpg

More
DSC_0031-2.jpg

And more
DSC_0033-2.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

Pit Viper setting
DSC_0035-1.jpg

Putting the MAPP torch to it
DSC_0036-2.jpg

DSC_0038-2.jpg

Platsetter feet up, grid with water pan, and raised grid wiped with Grape Seed Oil
DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0040-1.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

Everything reading 170*
DSC_0046.jpg

Getting ready for the overnight portion of the cook
DSC_0048.jpg

Pulled @ 18-hrs.
DSC_0051-2.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

Vary tasty

Thanks for looking

Ross
My Blog:http://grillingandsmoking.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
looks dang good Ross. Nice job! Those are nice fillets.

Ross those filets look great, a little cole slaw and I'd be in heaven,, Is 17 hours normal for a smoke like that,, is it cause of the low temp smoke?

18 hours seems like a long time. No? Am I wrong about that?

Ross those filets look great, a little cole slaw and I'd be in heaven,, Is 17 hours normal for a smoke like that,, is it cause of the low temp smoke?

Ross, I was going to ask the same question. 18 hours seems way too long?

I usually only do mine about 4 hrs. Comes out moist and smoky.

Have to say it looks real Yummy

Beautiful looking salmon Ross! You have all the best goodies for your egg. I especially dig that table.

I built the cold smoker rig Ă  la Naked Whiz last weekend (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/coldsmokingcan/coldsmokingcan.htm) as I am gearing up to cold alder smoke some salmon this summer.

They finally opened back up salmon season here in N. Cal so I have my fingers crossed that there will be some wild fish hitting my egg soon. I have a good friend across the bay who keeps telling me to use farm raised salmon for smoking because the higher fat content but after seeing an example of how they are raised it will be wild for me.

18 hours seems like a long time. No? Am I wrong about that?

Ross, I was going to ask the same question. 18 hours seems way too long?

I usually only do mine about 4 hrs. Comes out moist and smoky.

Have to say it looks real Yummy

In Alaska, I often smoke my salmon for 24 hours between 150-175*.

It really depends upon what you want your final product to be. I smoke my salmon with 'preservation' in mind (often refered to as 'squaw candy'). The texture is quite a bit firmer and the brine is fairly strong as well.

My kids love the dried out tail pieces.

In Alaska, I often smoke my salmon for 24 hours between 150-175*.

It really depends upon what you want your final product to be. I smoke my salmon with 'preservation' in mind (often refered to as 'squaw candy'). The texture is quite a bit firmer and the brine is fairly strong as well.

My kids love the dried out tail pieces.
This is just a straight 18-hr. smoke, no brine

Ross

Nice looking there!
If you like Lox and bagels, you should definitely try using your smoked fish in place of the lox. Way more flavor, everyone that has had it agrees.

That looks great! I've never smoked fish. I would love to hear more on the 18 hour timing. Is that more for flavor, texture, or both?

Ross, looks great. What are the pictures 5 and 6 from the top (just above the torch lighting)?

Thanks

Beautiful salmon Ross.. nice job! :thumb:

Back