MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Official Pretty Good Barbecue - Call for help

Ok, it's now official.

May 17-18, 2008, will be the first annual barbecue at my church in Dayton, Ohio.

A pretty good barbecue will start Saturday around noon, with cooking going on all night. There will be a kitchen, restrooms, water from inside the building, etc. available. Electrical can be arranged for outside, even if it means renting a generator.

I know some of you have already said you want to participate... Please PM with me with your official 'yes, I'll be there cooking'.

Here's what I know so far:

Security: This is in a not-nice part of a not-nice city. I'll be very upfront on saying that I know of at least a couple of people that will be armed at all times. Added to that, a Dayton police officer will likely be parked there during the night time hours, and men from our men's ministry will be camping out with us to add more of a presence.

Some money is being donated, but I'm asking that all cooks be prepared to bring with them at least 5 Boston butts and/or briskets, along with any sauces/rubs used. Buns will be provided, and chips, etc., will be available, as will paper plates and napkins. Softdrinks will also be provided.

I'm going to cook dinner Saturday and breakfast Sunday for everyone. Bring along whatever you want to drink, though I do ask that no alcohol be brought for this, since it will be on church property. We're not teatotallers, but we have a large alcoholic recovery program, and empties around the grounds would be a bad thing.

If there's something I haven't answered, ask it here so others can also see the question.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
Cabntmkr1
is Blowin Smoke!

I cannot make this one, but much success, my friend!
[FONT=Arial]ServSafe Certified[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Déjà Moo - The feeling you've heard that bull before. [/FONT]
Cabntmkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2008, 07:41 AM   #3
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Can I ask, who will be the benefactors of your hard work?

Will it be the congregation, the neighborhood, a Second Harvest type organization?

Regardless, sounds like a great little event. Helping people out, regardless of who you are helping.

Wish I lived closer.

Good luck

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2008, 08:14 AM   #4
cmcadams

Bill, it's going to be the congregation and the surrounding neighborhood. The church will blanket the area with flyers beforehand.

We do something similar with burgers and dogs throughout the summer; we just go to a neighborhood, advertise for a couple of weeks that we'll be there, come in, cook food, give away pop and water, have clowns there, face painting, stuff like that, and that's about it. No strings, no preaching at anyone. We don't hide that we're a church doing it, but we don't require a bible study to get a burger. Same goes for this event... Show up, and you'll get the best barbecue in town... Want to pay for it? Sorry, but you can't; we don't take pay for the food, or donations... It's really free.

Livefire Whisky

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)

Old 02-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

Thanks for the info Curt.
I forwarded the text to my wife. I really want to come down for this. (Bill, you want me to pick you up on the way?) I will likely have to bring my Tercel, so that means one WSM, 4 butts, and other accoutrements. Kind of limited, I know. I will keep you posted.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

Curt sorry but have my Nieces wedding that day17th. Hope you have a good turn out.
KCBS CBJ #30390

Lead for State of Ohio & Indiana for Operation BBQ Relief
Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member
Lang 84 Custom Longneck with warmer
Mobil Food Lic. With State of Ohio
The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
cmcadams

I thought I'd already replied, but I don't see it now... HM, come on down... for extra space, there will be a couple of good sized smokers there with extra room.

Roger, I remembered about your niece's wedding... gotta do the family thing. :)

Livefire Whisky

Old 02-27-2008, 09:53 AM   #8
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

You know I'm in Curt.

Sending the requested PM.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2008, 09:30 AM   #9
cmcadams

Slight change in approach...

I think we're going to cook at our Beavercreek location, then take everything to the Dayton campus to serve on Sunday.

The reasons for this:

1. Safety. The Beavercreek location is in a much better area.
2. Facilities. The Beaverceek location has a lot more room for us to spread out on grass and not be in anyone's way.
3. Location. The Beavercreek campus is just off the interstate and easy to get to. The Dayton Campus is tougher to get all the rigs to, so we'll just take tables over there to use to serve or something like that.

Livefire Whisky

Old 02-28-2008, 10:57 AM   #10
fnnm358
is One Chatty Farker

hey Curt were will you be in relation to the air force base looking at making it a weekend were I drop my wife off to visit the grand kids

Old 02-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
cmcadams

Ed, the base is within a few miles. the AF Museum is about 10 minutes away from the Beavercreek location, and maybe 15 from the Dayton campus.

Livefire Whisky

Old 02-28-2008, 05:23 PM   #12
smokeandbeer
Take a breath!

Just PM'ed you Curt. Will be there and look forward to helping any way I can.
smokeandbeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2008, 02:35 PM   #13
cmcadams

Ok, I'm bringing this up again... I have about 9 groups willing to come, some confirmed, some maybe.

It's going to be at the North Main site of the Dayton Vineyard. We'll have access to a kitchen for water/washing. I'm checking into electricity; let me know if you need it and how much.

We'll also have 2 off duty cops there, with cars, as a deterrent. The worst problem is going to be people asking us for stuff all night long.

Here's the unofficial agenda for the weekend:

Saturday, May 17

noon - People start showing up

5:00 pm - Barbecue class for people from the men's ministry... If you're coming and have rub/sauce to give out, these guys are going to stay with us overnight and help out serving. This time will also include a rib trimming demo for those looking for that.

7:00 ish - Dinner of pitbeef sandwiches

Cooking whenever appropriate to be done by 11:30 is the next morning.

Sunday, May 18
8:00 am - Breakfast of fatties/armadillo eggs

10:00 meat off the smokers to rest

11:30-noon start serving

2:00 - clean up

Here's a link to info and directions to the site:
http://www.daytonvineyard.com/index....31&page_id=167

More to come...

Anyone reading this in other areas of the country... Let me know if you'd be interested in doing this locally......

Livefire Whisky

Old 03-17-2008, 04:07 PM   #14
hcarter
Full Fledged Farker

Aaarrrggghhh!! I wish I could do this, but I have family commitments to take care of. It's funny though, my wife and I go to Vineyard here in Columbus and I have often thought about doing something like that there. Until I met her, I had never seen a church that big. I've always gone, and still go to, a Catholic church. Good luck and post again when you need help. I really do want to try to help someone out just for the experience.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #15
jestridge

Your church is doing a wonderful ministry.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote