MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

Default BBQ Guru on Chargriller Outlaw or similar ??? Has anyone here ....

..... used one with success on a griller/smoker of this type ??

All here have been most helpful on my previous Threads but there is a monstrous gap between well-liked products like Chargriller Outlaw (~$200.) and Lang or Klose equivalents at $1,100. to $1,300. +++. I think Outlaw can do my job with something like the GURU to reduce firetending time. I can live with a bit of excess lump/wood burning for the large cost difference.

Many ceramic cooker users seem impressed by the GURU, but I have not heard much from more traditional smoker users.
GMG_Daniel Boone _ pellets only
Big Green Egg _ Large _ need high heat
Broilmaster D3 'natural' gasser
[I]CB Bandera .. hooked me
Traeger Texas 075 spoiled me[/I][/FONT]

Last edited by Q_Egg; 06-20-2006 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: improve Title
Q_Egg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The Guru on a Chargriller will help stabilize the temperature but will not preclude you from firetending time. If you do not want to tend the smoker your egg is the best solution and the chargriller would be one of the worst.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2006, 09:34 PM   #3
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

Default Hey .. if you don't know, who does? I would love to ..

... have a Lang 48 or 60, but no way to get it to my area!

I am trying darn hard to work out solutions for the BGE, and today was no exception. 105*F outside this afternoon, spent all morning grinding 6 gauge expanded steel grates to fit. Set a nice Home Depot storage rack on fire in the garage ... they fit perfectly in normal position, but too large for one level down. Another morning of grinding tomorrow. I guess that is what is keeping me searching for ideas .. in the cool of the evening.

Thanks for the direct and clear answer!

Old 06-20-2006, 10:27 PM   #4
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_Egg
..... used one with success on a griller/smoker of this type ??

All here have been most helpful on my previous Threads but there is a monstrous gap between well-liked products like Chargriller Outlaw (~$200.) and Lang or Klose equivalents at $1,100. to $1,300. +++. I think Outlaw can do my job with something like the GURU to reduce firetending time. I can live with a bit of excess lump/wood burning for the large cost difference.

Many ceramic cooker users seem impressed by the GURU, but I have not heard much from more traditional smoker users.
There are a couple of threads regarding Guru use and the Bandera. With a Guru, 10 CFM fan, Spicewine basket (best money spent) and some foil for the side-door, I can get six to eight hours of 225* without having to touch anything.

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2006, 11:15 PM   #5
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Tommy, if you're so averse to tending a fire, you should really go propane or electric.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3342508

This smoker runs <$130 and is a dandy cooker.

Electric cookers have thermostats built in and VERY easy to use although usually cost more than propane rigs.

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2006, 11:20 PM   #6
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Perhaps an Ole Hickory or Southern Yankee Commercial Smoker. They have them in most Q restaurants. Just go to your local chain restaurant and buy some BBQ. You'll never have to tend the fire there...

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2006, 12:38 AM   #7
Sawdustguy

Tom,

I am sorry about being blunt but Mista is right. BBQ is all about tending the fire, picking the right spices and knowing how to cook low and slow. If you don't like tending the fire, the art of cooking low and slow may not be for you. Your only other alternative may be a pellet smoker like the cookshack FEC100.

Stupidity for Dummies

Old 06-21-2006, 01:26 AM   #8
Samichlaus
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : samichlaus

doh!
Samichlaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2006, 02:21 AM   #9
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

I know i Enjoy waking up at 4 am to start a fire and crack open a fresh miller lite and getting pumped up about tending my pit all day sittin outside under the sun adjusting the smoker everynow and then and shovin logs in there to feed the fire that will produce some awesome bbq, and the feeling of knowing im plumb worn out had half drunk at 6pm when i pull that brisket off the pit and everyone is sittin around waiting to eat it .. makes it worth every minute i was outside fighting fire

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2006, 04:14 AM   #10
bbqinNC
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDaddy
I know i Enjoy waking up at 4 am to start a fire and crack open a fresh miller lite and getting pumped up about tending my pit all day sittin outside under the sun adjusting the smoker everynow and then and shovin logs in there to feed the fire that will produce some awesome bbq, and the feeling of knowing im plumb worn out had half drunk at 6pm when i pull that brisket off the pit and everyone is sittin around waiting to eat it .. makes it worth every minute i was outside fighting fire
While I may wait a little later before I crack open the first brew , you have described exactly why I like to bbq. Sometimes I am not even hungry when the meat is ready for the rest of the family.
Kenmore Kettle Charcoal grill
bbqinNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2006, 07:55 AM   #11
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you're looking for painless "set and forget" cooking get something like the Cookshack - load the meat, fill the chipbox, set the thermostat and come back in a few hours...nothing wrong with that.

Putting a Guru on a backyard smoker is like putting fuel injection on a Chrysler "K" car -- it'll work but you'll still have a "K" car.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2006, 08:58 AM   #12
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

I meant to type this last night, but fell asleeep, then come in this moning and it seems alot of the guys said it...

You entered into an interactive hobby... You gotta particiapte beyond preparing the meat. the level of participation is where we draw our lines.

Stick burning is therapy to some.(im one of them)... We get to chop wood, and sling an ax and play with fire, get all smokey, get covered with soot... and drink... and no one yells at us.. (Except when you wake up from a battle nap on an all night cook and theres a soot pile on the white egyption cotten pillow case and the wife goes off on you. Not that that has happened to me or anything).. then theres the "do u want to come shopping?(on a saturday afternoon) question from the better half. We have the ultimate excuse to NOT have to do anything..."I can't, i got stuff in the pit" is one of my favorite lines on that saturday afternoon. I dont have to go shop, and i get rewarded for it in the form of beer and bbq. :)

My point below is(this is one mans opinion), theres a few forms of cookers.. each with different characteristics, no matter what you do, they will still have those same characteristics. Trying to change those characteristics drastically is like Chad says, turbo charging a K-car.

Maybe consider putting the combined funds of the guru and chargriller into a higher end pit.. Brinkman has some 500-1000 dollar models.

Here my view of the bridges...

* no or minimal input like the Pellet cookers, Cookshacks and Fast eddys.. Even your green egg is minimal. You pretty much set and forget. The FE needs some tending. (KC can elaborate on that. Im no expert there).

*Then theres the propane and electric models. I think one of the better ones is Great Outdoors smokers.. Alot to choose form at Home depot, lowes and costco. these use gas or electric for heat and a smoke box of woodchips or pellets for smoke.. they require very little work.

* - Some input like the WSM's and Kettles they can go for 8-12 hours with a little stir or fidlling every few hours, but dont need much refueling..

* - high end stick burners like the Klose, Langs, etc.. My BYC can go for 2-3 hours at a clip just using logs if I plan it like that.. or 4-6 hours if I use a basket.

* the backyard models like the bandera and chargrillers... the need tending every 45 minutes. once u get the hang of it you can stretch it to 60-90. If you really want extended burns in thos you NEED a charcoal basket..

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #13
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

Thumbs up I know better than to start a Thread when I'm tired and frustrated .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
* - high end stick burners like the Klose, Langs, etc.. My BYC can go for 2-3 hours at a clip just using logs if I plan it like that.. or 4-6 hours if I use a basket.

* the backyard models like the bandera and chargrillers... the need tending every 45 minutes. once u get the hang of it you can stretch it to 60-90. If you really want extended burns in thos you NEED a charcoal basket..
--------------------------------------------------------

I see how my comments may have come across depending on who reads them and their views. I do enjoy the fire prep and early tending ... BUT ... that last 15 lb whole brisket took 13+ hours and then cooler time. To eat at a fairly early hour means that it goes in around 10:00 p.m. I can enjoy and handle the "4-6 hours" you mention, but not the 45 min .... maybe 60 min ... all night long.

I am also asking a lot to get both a quality smoker PLUS a decent cooking area griller in the $500.-$800. range. Some great suppliers do one or the other, but not both ..... unless I have missed one.

My Thread was probably not well thought out and was stimulated by seeing a source for the Outlaw very near $200. For many, that is a great solution, but I would be asking too much of it for that cost.

Apologies ALL ... I will continue to add mods, etc. to my Large BGE and focus on learning all it will do WELL. Then, if there are real shortcomings I will look for something to fill the gap(s). I admit, I am a 'gadget' guy and am always intrigued by new stuff.

Thanks and regards,

Old 06-21-2006, 11:23 AM   #14
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Tommy, In my heavy gage Brinkmann offset, I can use a varition of the Minion method and get 3-4 hour unattended burns without any techie add on's. It can also have charcoal loaded in the main chamber for use as a grill.

There are lots of ways to use a cooker. A lot of us just don't understand your aversion to tending a fire as we find it to be so theraputic. When we don't have time for therapy, we cook by other means.
You can always start a cook late in the day, smoke until you're ready to rack out and then wrap the meat up, put it in the oven and head for bed. Brisket for brunch is a wonderful thing, and it makes the house smell awesome.

More than one way to skin a cat Bro, ya just gotta find the alternate methods that work for you.

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2006, 11:40 AM   #15
Sawdustguy

Tom,

That "All night long" is the price we pay for good Que. BBQ is low and SLOW. No getting around the slow in BBQ. I was serious when I said you should look into a pellet smoker. They are pretty much load the hopper with wood pellets, set the thermostat and away you go. They can actually make some pretty good Que. Take a look at some of the following:

Traeger: http://www.traegerindustries.com/grill3.htm

Smith & Wesson: http://www.smithwessongrills.com/38spec.html

Robidoux: http://www.robidouxinc.com/product/p...pcid=3&pid=193

Stupidity for Dummies