Turkey done very early.......???

Georgia Smoke

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Ok guys, my turkey is done and we don't eat for another 2.5 hours! What should I do with the bird?

It was a 12 lb was on the smoker for just under 3 hours at about 325*.

Thanks,
James

Keep it in a roaster oven if you have one? Foil it up and put it in your GASSER grill if you have one. happy thanksgiving

I've got the same probably, fifteen pounder not carving till 12-12:30. I've got maybe half hour before it's done. Kettle started running hot. I'm gonna put mine in a foil pan, wrap with foil, wrap with towels, and hopefully it'll fit in my cooler. Should keep warm well resting for a couple hours? Hope that helps, hope someone chimes in as well! Good luck!

I'm getting mine done a bit ahead of time on purpose so not to have to mess with it when the folks all start arriving. I'm going to hold in my preheated cambro which a cooler would work too. Preheat with some boiling water.

I rested two turkeys for three hours last Sunday. Put in aluminum roaster pan, sealed up with aluminum foil and wrapped in a (new) moving blanket... was still hot and steaming when I unwrapped to carve.

I've recently become a convert to believing in longer rest times. Takes the stress out of worrying that it will be finished on time and rested meat is juicy meat!

I had a 15 lb'er that was overdone in about 3.5 hours. I was trying to get the WSM hotter than usual and I think that combined with the wind the temps just got away from me.

that combined with us not eating for another hour and a half I pulled / carved as minimally as possible, stuck in a foil pan and into my insulated bag. Hopefully it stays somewhat moist.

I got mine done early by 2 hrs so had plenty of time for other stuff, like making gravy etc etc. Lightly covered with foil on a cookie sheet, sitting on top of the stove. 2 hrs later still steaming hot. No problem.
85by.jpg

Drippings for gravy
yyvs.jpg

Back